Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Disk read error, but drive appears in BIOS

This is a discussion on Disk read error, but drive appears in BIOS within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Firstly, I already have this mentioned in another thread along with another problem I'm having so my apologies for creating

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Firstly, I already have this mentioned in another thread along with another problem I'm having so my apologies for creating a new thread...I just thought I might help single out this problem a little faster.

My problem is basically what is in the title. I have one single internal HDD hooked up with sata cables. It is the primary drive which has windows installed and has worked fine in the past. It shows up fine in BIOS under SATA 1, but when I attempt to let it boot I get the imfamous disk read error screen. Everything has been disconnected and reconnected internally.

The only change I've made recently is my secondary internal drive, which I had to remove because of a tear in the IDE cable connecting to it.

In case it helps, here is the info on the motherboard and drive I'm using:

MB - ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly assist with my problem

Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

If the IDE was present during the OS installation, it may have boot files on it.

Google is your Friend!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
If the IDE was present during the OS installation, it may have boot files on it.
So you are saying there are boot files stored on the secondary drive? I was under the belief that only the drive with the os installed is necessary to have hooked up. Why would the install rely on other drives to be present at all times, since they aren't the primary drive that contains the os?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

That is true. However, many motherboards look at the IDE bus before the SATA bus when booting. I've had issues with an MSI (K8N Neo 4 Plus I believe) and an ASUS board in the past with a similar issue. One of the reasons why only the primary drive should be connected during OS installation.

It's just a possibility. You can test it easily enough by reconnecting the IDE HDD.

Google is your Friend!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
It's just a possibility. You can test it easily enough by reconnecting the IDE HDD.
I will, just as soon as I get a replacement cable. Thanks for the info, and perhaps thats true, though again I've never heard of an OS install placing files on other drives. To me that just creates a greater chance of technical problems like the one I'm having now.

If anyone else has any ideas to throw at me, I'm watching both my topics here on the forum very well and I'll be sure to respond asap.