Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Dell XPS | M1530 Laptop Black Screen issue

This is a discussion on Dell XPS | M1530 Laptop Black Screen issue within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I wonder if anyone could help me here. I face a weird problem with my Dell XPS M1530 laptop

Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could help me here. I face a weird problem with my Dell XPS M1530 laptop (> 3 years) since the last 2 months.

The laptop works absolutely fine when working but the problem comes when i switch it off (Shutdown/Sleep mode) and try to start it up later. It just goes blank. Although I see the laptop starting in normal mode, I just don't see anything on my screen (not even the Dell logo or bios). I would then have to unplug the power adapter, remove the battery, then press and hold the power button for a few seconds, reinstall the battery, reconnect the power adapter, and start it.

And it does work fine again. It happens once in 2-3 days & have been doing this for 2 months now. Am really fed-up and would like to know the reason behind this to fix it. Can someone please explain me the issue and how I can get it resolved?
Many thanks in advance. Cheers!!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Try using an external monitor when the problem occurs.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Try using an external monitor when the problem occurs.
Thank you for your reply. There's a slight update to the previously mentioned issue.
The laptop starts normally most of the times but at times goes blank during start-up. During this time, I just noticed that although I can hear the graphics card fan moving, nothing else starts up. Even the DVD-RW drive detection doesn't happen. It just goes blank as if its been idle for hours. No outputs from Ext Monitor or HDMI ports at all.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

Are you certain you have a dedicated GPU?
The info I find for that model uses a (GeForce 8600M GT) Graphics chip.
I would assume the fan you hear is the CPU?
Try removing the battery, clear the CMOS and try booting using AC Power.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Are you certain you have a dedicated GPU?
The info I find for that model uses a (GeForce 8600M GT) Graphics chip.
I would assume the fan you hear is the CPU?
Try removing the battery, clear the CMOS and try booting using AC Power.
Yes, am very certain its a GeForce 8600M GT external card since it was replaced about 2 years ago. Well the solution you provided works and thats what i have been doing for about 2 months now. What do you think might be a possible issue? How can i get it resolved?
Thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

If it will always boot on AC Power only (battery removed), possibly a failing battery?

Gear in this thread