Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Dell Inspiron 1300, need help upgrading

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 1300, need help upgrading within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 with the intentions of upgrading (my first upgrade project). Now to

Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 with the intentions of upgrading (my first upgrade project).
Now to date I've upgraded the RAM from 1gb to 2gb and upgraded to WIN7 from XP.
The laptop is still horribly slow, I'm thinking about upgrading the CPU, at present it has Pentium Celeron M, I'm looking to upgrade to a Duel Core Pentium hoping to speed it up.

Now, I am a novice and I need your help, first off CAN I upgrade the CPU on this Dell and how do I do it, and would a duel core really speed it up or should I maybe go Quad Core.

I hope you guys can help me and guide me through this issue.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Did you install all the required drivers after upgrading to 7?
You need to determine what CPU's are compatible with the Mobo/Bios. Dell would be the best source for that info.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

I didn't, I was aware I had to this. This is the spec, Dell 1.73 Centrino, 30gb HDD, 2gb DDR2, if I install Win7 drivers would that speed it up any or would I still need to change the CPU
Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

All drivers need to be installed for the OS to perform properly.
A 30GB Hdd (7 uses 10 or better) is pretty small for 7.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, that's great. Where do I need to go to find all the drivers I need, if installing all drivers for win7 doesn't speed it up I will defiantly downgrade to XP. The laptop will be only used for surfing and e-mailing so I wasn't to concerned about the 30gb hard drive. Would 30gb be ok for what I need.?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

All drivers for OEM units need to be obtained from the manufacture's site for the precise Model. Use the Service Tag Number to locate your particular model.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'll do that, thanks alot. Fingers crossed.
If I've any more questions would you mind if I contact you again. You know what your talking about alot more than me. Lol.
Thanks again
Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

We're open 24/7. If no one gets back to immediately, be patient and someone will assist you.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

That's great, thanks.
I do have another question. I'm thinking about buying a processor, but I'm unsure if its compatible, can you advise me please.

I'm running at the moment-

Intel Pentium M Processor 1.73GHz 1.73GHz
RAM - 2.00GB
System Type - 32-Bit OS

would a Pentium 4 processor be faster than what I have, and would it speed up my laptop.
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made fro them so determining what CPU's are/are not compatible can be very difficult to determine. Theh manufacture is the best source for that info.