Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell Inspiron 1300, need help upgrading

3K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 with the intentions of upgrading (my first upgrade project).
Now to date I've upgraded the RAM from 1gb to 2gb and upgraded to WIN7 from XP.
The laptop is still horribly slow, I'm thinking about upgrading the CPU, at present it has Pentium Celeron M, I'm looking to upgrade to a Duel Core Pentium hoping to speed it up.

Now, I am a novice and I need your help, first off CAN I upgrade the CPU on this Dell and how do I do it, and would a duel core really speed it up or should I maybe go Quad Core.

I hope you guys can help me and guide me through this issue.

Thanks

#2 ·
Did you install all the required drivers after upgrading to 7?
You need to determine what CPU's are compatible with the Mobo/Bios. Dell would be the best source for that info.

#5 ·
Ok, that's great. Where do I need to go to find all the drivers I need, if installing all drivers for win7 doesn't speed it up I will defiantly downgrade to XP. The laptop will be only used for surfing and e-mailing so I wasn't to concerned about the 30gb hard drive. Would 30gb be ok for what I need.?

#6 ·
All drivers for OEM units need to be obtained from the manufacture's site for the precise Model. Use the Service Tag Number to locate your particular model.

#9 ·
That's great, thanks.
I do have another question. I'm thinking about buying a processor, but I'm unsure if its compatible, can you advise me please.

I'm running at the moment-

Intel Pentium M Processor 1.73GHz 1.73GHz
RAM - 2.00GB
System Type - 32-Bit OS

would a Pentium 4 processor be faster than what I have, and would it speed up my laptop.
Thanks.

#10 ·
OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made fro them so determining what CPU's are/are not compatible can be very difficult to determine. Theh manufacture is the best source for that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.