Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

CPU Temp is higher than CORE temp

This is a discussion on CPU Temp is higher than CORE temp within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It all began after Flashing my BIOS! My mobo is ASUS P5K-SE and the latest Bios I flashed is P5K-SE-1402.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

It all began after Flashing my BIOS! My mobo is ASUS P5K-SE and the latest Bios I flashed is P5K-SE-1402.
Here is the view of Speed Fan:

I googled a bit came to some solutions bot none of them worked. I flashed to earlier versions but it never changed. There was also a ROM file in the CD that came with mobo and which's version was 0.4xxx. When I try tried to flash to it ASUS EZ Flash Utiliy declined due to older version. But it didn't declined to flash from 1402 to 1104. Could be any solutions to this? I mean to CPU temp > Core temp. It sounds funny but annoying infact

Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Like I said on your other post there is nothing wrong with your temps, anything above 60 is bad and speedfan can be out by 10% in - or + so trust core temp or real temp well I do anyway.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think I'm not clear. The problem is 20 seconds before BIOS update it was all ok cpu was room temperature core was room+5. now core is room+5 cpu is core+10. Why doesn't speedfan reads ok before bios flash but after flash it gives error. And I need to notify you that I'm not a daily user and I have a grasp of knowledge of comp.

Sorry but the answer you give is totally unacceptable. We need to know how hot our cpu is and overclock it as it is nod exceeding threshold temps. I'm %100 sure that my Cpu is not at 43 C it is 28 or something but why this miscalculation happens after bios. Here again I repeat myself.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Use the Bios temp Speed fan is wrong often.
While your in the Bios check the 12v reading if anywhere near the 11.4v speed fan is reporting you have a PSU problem.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Speed fan is best for measuring the speed of fans as the name suggests.

For 45nm chips you use Real Temp with the TJ max set to 95

For 65nm chip you use core temp with the TJ max at 100.

The Bios flash may have altered a setting which has confused speed fan or speed fan can't read the system properly anymore but as I said use one of the proper temp reading apps.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Do as wrench97nsuggested and check your temps and Voltages in the Bios. Third party apps are very often inaccurate.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'm sorry but I think I'm misunderstood. After detecting speedfan is showing 43 C for CPU I directly rebooted and checked BIOS for a false estimation. No way 12V 5V 3.3V was ok and temp was also 43 C in bios. In this case I though about a faulty bios update and updated the Bios three more times both from windows and dos environment. Problem seemed to occure again then I searched forums a bit and come to a solution about PECI (Platform Environmental Control Interface) should be enabled otherwise it shows converted temperatures. I guess it could really be the answer and I ran into Bios again and thanks to god they were disabled and at that moment a bulb flashed over my head and I thank god that I'm at the doorstep of solution. Anyway therewere 2 PECI relevant settings which could be given state of enabled and disabled and I tried 4 possible combinations with them (E,E;E,D;D,E;D,D) regardless it didn't helped again. So at last I registered to tech support and beg for a solution from experts, experts that somewhere of their lifes they faced this trial of mine. I know this is not a typical day problem like my fan is spinning shouldn't it be holding or my core temp is 100 soon I'm going to fry my pancake over it.

I'm a trueseeker that needs answers to his troubles.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I am still not sure why you are worried about the speed fan temp you posted, that is not a bad temperature to have.

As said speed fan can be wrong it is better to use Real Temp with the TJ max st to 95 for your cpu this will be more accurate than speed fan.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Green bro look I'm going to explain this as clear as I can.

EX 1:As you know that the surface of Sun which is the star of solar system is way cooler than its core. Suns surface is approximately 6.000 C but its core is 15.000.000. From this example we can see that heat generating objects cores are way more hotter than their surface.

EX 2:Take an example of burning stove. While the core of the stove is 800 C its surface is 200C or something. This example is also Identical to sun example.

EX 3:My current CPU core is 42 C but my cores are 32-32.. Recall ex1 and ex2 that any heat dissipating objects surface must be cooler than its core.

My problem is. There is an error with my boards temperature readings. Actually Cpu temp should be equal to ambient temp but it is not.

So please don't reply again like come on dude that temp is ok. I know its ok its very very ok but I need to know actual temp. Not the one that is given by malfuctioning device or wrong calculations. AND ALL OF THIS HAPPENED AFTER BIOS UPDATE! AM I CLEAR GREEN BRO! btw green is a good colour
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

When you flashed the Bios, ALL of your setting go to Default.
Use the Bios for the most reliable and accurate information for Temps and Voltages.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Registered Member

As I said before Temp reading in Bios are same. Don't you read my posts before posting. And btw the bios will set to default if I select clear cmos data which I didn't select. Whether I select it or not the problem still carry on.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

People here are trying to help you and you pretty much insult them. Your worried over nothing, everything is WELL within the norm.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I don't see where we can be of any more help, if you feel the Bios update caused the issue then perhaps you should contact Asus, but I don't see a problem with your system.

Thread Closed.

Closed Thread