Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Quad Core

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Roymg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've got a HP desktop computer with a I-7 quad core chip set. I decided for the first time to ck the core operation in the Task Manger. I only see one graph and I think there should be 4 or more. Looking at the Device Manager under the Processor tap there are 8 sub cores shown all with drivers and working according to Win 7. In the Msconfig under tabs Boot and Advance there is only 1 core shown with no option to add others.

This machine is still under warrantee and talking to HP about this I got not much of a conclusion of any problem. I guess it was the luck of drawing that tech. After a couple of hours with him looking at my computer he wants to send me a packing box to send it in to HP to ck it out as to hardware, but doesn't think anything is wrong.

The issue with that is I'm sure when I get the PC back I'm looking at a daunting task of reloading all of my software and files which would be a pain.

So, I guess I'll ask is the CPU cores controlled in the BIOS and perhaps mine were not set up with the right config? Also maybe the mother board won't support this quad chip.

I'd appreciate any thoughts yall may have.
Thanks,
Royg

Specs From Belarc:
Desktop PC
Hewlett-Packard h8-1360t 1.00

Processor
3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

Mem
10198 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AD5 1.03
Serial Number: 120523840001072
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: AMI 7.15 07/02/2012

Went into the BIOS and Hyper Threading was enabled as was Multi-Processors. So maybe if that's the case with Hyper Threading enabled, then you would only see one graph in the Task Manager. I don't know why Belarc didn't see this.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
This is exactly what I see in Task Manager and in MsConfig. I've asked Intel
about this to see what they say before I send this PC back for a hardware
ck. Ha, HP ask me to do this, can you believe it? Seems like the motherboard is correct one for this I-7 chip.

There is a chip set driver on the HP site that is newer but the model number
of the PC they ref has about three more letters tacked onto the end that mine does not. I'll have to verify the diff. first before I try and update

My resource monitor in Task Monitor is kaput. It won't open up at all.

In device manager shows:
Process drivers all 8 dated 6/29/2006 (all working)
Chip set series C216 SATAAHCI dated 11/29/2011 (working)

I'm beginning to think HP has the wrong BIOS Motherboard driver installed for this I-7 chip set. How do you identify in device manager the driver for the BIOS?

I appreciated all the help and comments,
Thanks

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Task Manager/Performance will show a graph for each core. In the case of the Intel Core i procs with hyperthreading (such as the i7-3770) it will also show a graph for each of the 'virtual' cores.

System Information >> Boot >> Advanced
Number of Processors: This determines the number of processors (cores) Windows is allowed to use during the boot process. Leave it unchecked (Windows uses the maximum available) unless you are certain this is causing a problem.

#16 ·
gcavan.. I should have taken your advice. My pc went through a first level HP Tech and they found nothing wrong. Never mind what I gave them in my notes as to what I mentioned in this forum. So they sent it up to a second level Tech. BINGO. He went into MSConfig to the Boot Tab and Advanced option and unchecked the 1 core box. Now all 4 cores are showing as active graphs and if wanted it can show 8 cores. Also the Task Monitor Resource feature now works as before it did not. He also said that propbally all cores were working anyway but were not showing as active in the Task Mointor.

Good news is I still have all of my installed programs intact.

Thanks!

#8 · (Edited)
Run msinfo32, which will tell you your BIOS version.

My resource monitor in Task Monitor is kaput. It won't open up at all.
The problem may not lie with your hardware then but with the reporting software. Run CPU_Z and see how many cores it reports.

Also, open an Administrator-level command prompt and run the command

Code:
sfc /scannow
Does it report any errors with your operating system?

#9 ·
Run msinfo32, which will tell you your BIOS version.

The problem may not lie with your hardware then but with the reporting software. Run CPU_Z and see how many cores it reports.

Also, open an Administrator-level command prompt and run the command

Code:
sfc /scannow
Does it report any errors with your operating system?

I think what's happened with the Resource Mon. is that HP has their own ver and it may have overridden MS's ver. It's just a meter view on cpu % and men %.

I have not tried all of your suggestions yet,
but all of the op system reports available with win7 shows no problems.

I did find this in Systems Report for the installed processor "Intel Core i7-3770@3.4 GHZ 3392 MHZ, 1 Core(s) Logical Processor"

Perhaps maybe this is why the system reports only show that one core is avail for this particular version processor.

Still waiting on reply from Intel. I haven't reported yet to them about the 1 core report.

Thanks,
Royg

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Open msconfig (start type msconfig in the search box hit enter) on the boot tab click on the advanced options button, in the popup make sure there is not a tic in the box above number of processors. In fact there should be nothing checked off on that window.

View attachment 187458
Yeah it's has what you call a tic and me a ck mark.:smile:

Removing the tic greys out the core 1 box bur the 1 stays.

Remove the tic/check mark, don't worry about what is displayed if the box is not checked.
If the box is checked it limits the CPU to 1 core.

#15 ·
Got this from Intel:

"Thank you very much for getting back to us. The issue you are referring to is associated to outdated BIOS and chipset drivers as the BIOS might be misreading the information from the board chipset. Something else you can try is re-installing the operating system and see if that helps but normally those types of issues are fixed by updating chipset and BIOS drivers."

Looks like I'll just let her go back to HP! Damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.