Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

CPU Fan Constantly Running High/Temp seems High

This is a discussion on CPU Fan Constantly Running High/Temp seems High within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have built a computer consisting of the following: Asus P5AD2 Premium P4 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HT

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have built a computer consisting of the following:

Asus P5AD2 Premium
P4 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HT
MGE ATX Mid Tower Case with 450W Power Supply
Western Digital 200GB (WD2000JD) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
512MB DDR2 533 PC2-4200 CL4 32x8 1.181 SAM 240-Pin DIMM
VGA SAPHIRE X300 SE 128MB 586L RTL
3 Fans - 1 in front of case - 1 in back of case - 1 on side of case directly over the cpu/heatsink

My Issue:

1. Whenever I close up the case the RPM on the CPU Fan increases.
2. CPU Fan is loud and runs high all the time.
3. CPU is reading 61C, and has never been lower since I put it together.

My Question:

1. What can I do to get this fan to run at a lower RPM?
2. What can I do to decrease the temperature?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-24-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

You can get the fan to run lower when the heat gets lower. We need to search and find out why it is running so hot and what cooling is doing.

I think you know that the temps you have reported at rest (I was assuming it was at rest from what you said) are way too high for at rest, so we need to look at some reason for that.

Tell us which way you have those fans running or what direction they are blowing.

When you put this rig together, did you use Thermal Paste between the CPU and the Heatsink?

What type of cooling fan is on the heatsink, is it a stock cooling fan or something else?

Old 11-24-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

You can get the fan to run lower when the heat gets lower. We need to search and find out why it is running so hot and what cooling is doing.

I think you know that the temps you have reported at rest (I was assuming it was at rest from what you said) are way too high for at rest, so we need to look at some reason for that.

Tell us which way you have those fans running or what direction they are blowing.

REPLY: I have the fan in the back bringing air out of the case. I have the fan in the front bringing air into the case. I have the fan on the side bringing air onto the CPU Heatsink.

When you put this rig together, did you use Thermal Paste between the CPU and the Heatsink?

REPLY: The board was purchased as a combination, so the CPU was already installed.

What type of cooling fan is on the heatsink, is it a stock cooling fan or something else?

REPLY: It is the stock cooling fan.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
mark3567

Hi,

You may want to consider putting a better fan on this CPU, because with all you have, this is a heat producing machine. You might also see your temps go down if you would use Artic Silver thermal paste between your heatsink and CPU.

Try things, such as:

Disable that side fan and see if the temp changes, because they can cause turbulance if the air flow is distracted.

Make sure you have the heatsink fan blowing down on the heatsink and not blowing air up into the case flow.

Take one side off, put a fan (literal house fan) blowing air into the side and see what that does to the temps.

Your setup should see temps from 40 to 61 degrees under a very heavy load. You are way over that. Give these things a try and see how that affects your setup. That way we have some things to evaluate why.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

So you recommend taking the stock fan off and re-applying with the Artic Silver thermal paste along with a different fan? I would have thought that Monarch Computer Company would have done a better job of testing this board with the cpu chip to make sure the temps were in the normal range. I will try what you said. Hopefully I will be able to get these temps down. I appreciate the response.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
mark3567

Hi,

Don't just buy a fan, buy a good fan if you go that route. Also try the other things we talked about.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

Alright. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlack
My Issue:

1. Whenever I close up the case the RPM on the CPU Fan increases.
2. CPU Fan is loud and runs high all the time.
3. CPU is reading 61C, and has never been lower since I put it together.

My Question:

1. What can I do to get this fan to run at a lower RPM?
2. What can I do to decrease the temperature?

Thanks in advance
I had the same problem that you do...

In the Power tab in the BIOS is Hardware Monitor sub-menu, in there you'll find CPU Q-Fan Control - change it to enabled, Enabling that will then make CPU Fan Ratio appear - change it from Auto to 70%. CPU Target Temperature will also appear - change it to 53.

Also change the Chassis Q-Fan Control to enabled.

The fans will get *a little* quieter when the proc is idle. And the temp should hover around 53-55. That's the coolest the 3.4 and 3.6 procs get.

Hope that helps.

Have a good one,

Rooke