Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Cooling Ryzen 5 1600 with be quiet query!!

This is a discussion on Cooling Ryzen 5 1600 with be quiet query!! within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I wanted to know whether a Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 CPU cooler could cool a RYzen 5

Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I wanted to know whether a Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 CPU cooler could cool a RYzen 5 1600 when overclocked to around 3.9 - 4.0 GHz. The motherboard I will use will be an Asus Prime B350-K. The case would be a Silverstone PS-11; the airflow optimized, windowed version.

I'm not sure what my internal room temperature is exactly as I live in a hot country with outside air temps reaching in [B]low - mid 40's Celsius]![/B For a rough guess maybe 24-28 degrees, I think. Whereas almost all testing done with CPU coolers is done at around room temperature. I was thinking of using a 3-pin Corsair High Static Pressure 120mm fan with Shadow Rock 2 as the heatsink seems to have a large surface area compared to other coolers. Only the stock Pure Wings fan appears less powerful although very quiet.

I'm on a tight budget so I was wondering if someone could give me an estimate of how high I can go with overclocking the CPU on the stock Wraith Spire CPU cooler with this kind of ambient temps. I do understand that the Ryzen 5 lineup is relatively new and I wanted to know you guys' experiences and which cooler did you use.

All answers are appreciated and thank you for your time
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

It should do fine, one fan is standard and two is better.

If you want, I find for the price of the Be Quiet, this is better:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-045-_-Product
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

It should do fine, one fan is standard and two is better.

If you want, I find for the price of the Be Quiet, this is better:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-045-_-Product
Yes, I have heard this suggestion at numerous times but it is quite pricey in my area Though the shadow rock 2 is cheaper around $50, but before I buy I need to know whether it can cool my CPU enough as I can't keep returning parts to the manufacturer.

This article shows the strength range and limitations of the shadow rock 2 - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Rock_2/6.html

So you see with the included Pure wings 2 fan and/or the design of the heatsink. The SR 2 isn't capable for highly overclocked systems. So this got me thinking that a more powerful fan whose static pressure, like that of Corsair High Static Pressure 120mm fan, would be able to push air deeper into the heatsink fins and be able to access the heatpipes for much better cooling.

At least this is my theory, and since I don't have a built system, I can't experiment around with different fans and heatsinks.

Speaking of the heatsink the shadow rock 2 seems to have a large width and good height for an air cpu cooler, although it appears to have dented side surfaces which leads to.... I have no idea Haha so could someone help with something like an estimate of temperature of CPU with corsair high sp fan 120mm?

Apart from this I wanted to know the acoustics of the case, in one article It was shown that the PS 11 windowed version creates a sound of 74 dBA. How can I understand this as it is something abstract, so can someone give me a comparison, like "it would sound like a...." blow dryer, car car starting, people conversing etc.

My fan placement is likely to be one front (intake), one bottom (intake), one top (exhaust) and one rear (exhaust).

My deepest thanks to anyone who tries to help and sorry for being long-winded.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hello friends,

I wanted to know which case would do well in a hot country. I have a doubt on a big case with airflow. Wouldn't a big box just create a giant air pocket that would get hot as pc parts are at work in them. Would this be true in hot countries? I mean, even with fans installed? Which cases do you know which have the following characteristics of:

1) Solid quality build

2) Great airflow (no stagnant build up of air in case)

3) Great cable management

4) Some expansion opportunities

5) Great value for money

The cases I have in mind are:
  • Silverstone PS-11
  • Corsair Spec-02
  • NZXT Source 220
  • Silverstone Kl05
  • Zalman Z9 Neo
  • Silverstone RL05
  • Phanteks Enthoo pro m
  • Fractal Design Define S

So what do you guys think? Please feel free to share your case choices even outside this list that you feel are the best
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post
Yes, I have heard this suggestion at numerous times but it is quite pricey in my area Though the shadow rock 2 is cheaper around $50, but before I buy I need to know whether it can cool my CPU enough as I can't keep returning parts to the manufacturer.
Where are you buying your parts from? Perhaps I could look on the seller's website to see what is available for a reasonable price.

Have you considered water cooling instead? You may be able to keep it colder using the water cooler.

Quote:
So you see with the included Pure wings 2 fan and/or the design of the heatsink. The SR 2 isn't capable for highly overclocked systems. So this got me thinking that a more powerful fan whose static pressure, like that of Corsair High Static Pressure 120mm fan, would be able to push air deeper into the heatsink fins and be able to access the heatpipes for much better cooling.
I think it's more than capable after looking at the benchmarks. Only the FPU testing was troubling for it, as it was with many other coolers. You could also, do as you suggest, and add or replace the fan on the cooler.

Quote:
Speaking of the heatsink the shadow rock 2 seems to have a large width and good height for an air cpu cooler, although it appears to have dented side surfaces which leads to.... I have no idea Haha so could someone help with something like an estimate of temperature of CPU with corsair high sp fan 120mm?
More of a design aspect of the heat sink rather than offering anything functional.

Again, is water cooling with a closed loop an option for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post
Hello friends,

I wanted to know which case would do well in a hot country. I have a doubt on a big case with airflow. Wouldn't a big box just create a giant air pocket that would get hot as pc parts are at work in them. Would this be true in hot countries? I mean, even with fans installed? Which cases do you know which have the following characteristics of:

1) Solid quality build

2) Great airflow (no stagnant build up of air in case)

3) Great cable management

4) Some expansion opportunities

5) Great value for money

The cases I have in mind are:
  • Silverstone PS-11
  • Corsair Spec-02
  • NZXT Source 220
  • Silverstone Kl05
  • Zalman Z9 Neo
  • Silverstone RL05
  • Phanteks Enthoo pro m
  • Fractal Design Define S

So what do you guys think? Please feel free to share your case choices even outside this list that you feel are the best
I've put your other post into this one. No need to have two.

Any case on that list will do just fine. As long as there are intake and exhaust fans. I like the NZXT and Fractal Design cases.
Old Today, 03:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply and water cooling is not a great option for me as it is way too dangerous being water pumping over expensive pc parts and also being difficult to maintain, so this is why I'm opting for air cooling

The parts I plan on getting are from https://gear-up.me/, so...not in North America, but you can change your displayed currency on the top right corner of the page into US Dollars.

I understand the need for water cooling but due to the steep price point of pc parts, I really wouldn't want to risk it.

As with all coolers, the intake and exhaust fans should add to effective cooling of the CPU, but being a novice I can't tell due to lack of experience.
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #7
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I don't know the brand, but these with two fans on them would be best to have:

https://gear-up.me/akasa-venom-cpu-cooler-medusa.html

https://gear-up.me/scythe-scfm-1000-...oler-fuma.html
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
I don't know the brand, but these with two fans on them would be best to have:

https://gear-up.me/akasa-venom-cpu-cooler-medusa.html

https://gear-up.me/scythe-scfm-1000-...oler-fuma.html
Yes! except for akasa venom, I had the scythe FUMA in mind and it performs very well for the price, only thing is the am4 bracket doesn't come with it, but I'm checking with gear-up.me if they can get a hold of this crucial part.

If they do have it my problem may be solved right here, will keep you posted on that though. By tomorrow I should get an answer. Will confirm then! Thanks again!