Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Computer stalls, reboots during game play, and stalls some more.[RESOLVED]

This is a discussion on Computer stalls, reboots during game play, and stalls some more.[RESOLVED] within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hellooo, hmm where to begin... My computer is a custom built machine, all the parts were bought at NewEgg.com a

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hellooo, hmm where to begin...

My computer is a custom built machine, all the parts were bought at NewEgg.com a year ago. It's been a real working machine since I built it together and I'm really proud of it. I've scanned for viruses and spyware over the year with the help of this forum and have defeated many computer infiltrating foes.

Today I have a new problem, but it's hard to identify for me to give an easy explanation. Throughout this week, I've noticed my computer has been gradually slowing down, and occasionally stalls. I use it to play games mostly, and homework assignments but not as often as gaming.

At first I thought I should buy another video card and just kick up the graphics a bit, but now I'm starting to look at more problems and think, it's definetly not graphics.

I scanned for viruses and did a system restore before posting this, and to no avail. Here's what's happening:

First off, let's say I woke up this morning to turn on the computer. The first thing that comes up on a computer is a logo, like DELL or Gateway, in my case, EVATI. Then it stops. This screen stays here. I'll leave it alone for 5 minutes and check and see it hasn't moved.

So I'll turn off the computer, count to 3 and it gets past this screen. And now it'll boot up normally but occasionally it will reach a point where it cannot load any further. There's a few screens where it looks like DOS prompt (I don't know what's happening as a computer boots up) and the last line is:

Verifying DMI Pool Data . . .
A Disk read error has occured.

Please press Ctrl Alt Delete to reboot.

So I'll shut down and boot up again, and luckily get to Windows XP loading up afterwards. Occasionally Windows XP screen will linger for a good few minutes before proceeding, longer than normal. Then I finally reach the login screen.

I'll login and boot up my game.

Today my game has been stalling roughly every 30 seconds to a minute and would stall for 5 - 10 seconds repeating sound effects. Now after I did my virus scanning (tried the game after, didn't work) and system restore, my game would load, and my computer would reboot on it's own. I want to say it's because my computer is pressured to boot up the game. But I'm not running any music, or instant messaging programs.

This wasn't happening untill tonight. Before, my game would stall continously and it's been happening more often this week only.

I'd post this in a more general forum but I can't determine where the problem is but I want to say it's hardware . . . somewhere. Does this sound like a processor issue or something else?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/troubleshooting-tips-tricks/132450-hard-drive-diagnostic-utilities.html

Have a read there then download your hardrives diagnostics and check the drive, use the bootable floppy type if possible.

Report back what you find if the drive checks as ok we will move on to something lse

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 01-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Unfortunately I tried to turn on my computer today and it doesn't even get past the EVTAI screen. I can hear something clicking in the CD Drive I think it is.

I'd give that a try but I'm going to have to take it to a shop or BestBuy, I'm on my roomie's laptop.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

My guess is it is the hardrive that is clicking and has failed causing the problem, take the ide cover off and remove power from the drive.

Power on and see if the computer will post, if it will see if you can boot from cd.

If you can its the hdd and you can get and install a new one.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 01-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

I took the computer to the shop and he restarted the "jumper" thing I can't remember what he said. It booted up fine at the shop, but I take it home and I start noticing problems again.

It feels as if it did a few days ago, game stalls, and I even played a cinematic through the game and my computer rebooted.

So I did the hardware diagnostic, I had to get everest so I wouldn't have to lazily open the case. Western Digital Diagnostic.

I'll paste what I got:

Quote:
Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD400JB-00JJC0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAMC5339933
Firmware Number: 05.01C05
Capacity: 40.02 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 03- Read SMART Attribute command error on drive 1!
Test Time: 16:19:04, January 29, 2007

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 16:20:16, January 29, 2007

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 19:49:46, January 29, 2007

I'm going to give your second suggestion a try.

EDIT

Okay it wasn't able to boot up withthe power out. I didn't hear the clicking noise anymore but since that place closes at 9, I'm gunna take my computer there one more time and try to show them what's going on this time, and explain a few tricks we've done.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

The drive passed the extended test so that suggests the drive is good but I am still suspicious. When it failed the quick test it only misread a smart attribute that seemed to be corrected or something the second time around.

Please list your full system specs including the psu.

With Everest post your temps and voltages

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Turned out to be the power supply. Everything's running fine with a new 460W except that my frame rate has gone down in gaming.

No more stalls, random reboots. Has been working like a charm thus far.

Should I re-post this frame rate issue in a video card forum since this issue is resolved? Basically my fps is under 10 in very small areas that shouldn't be such a chore. You'd think if you stared at a wall with nothing running around would kick up to a very high number, but with 3 people around, the game is really slower than usual.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

post it in the gamers forum
Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Roger. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Thanks for letting us know

JOIN TEAM TSF