Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Computer just shut down and won't restart

This is a discussion on Computer just shut down and won't restart within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. My computer at work just shut down... and now won't restart..at all. Power supply is good, put it

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there. My computer at work just shut down... and now won't restart..at all. Power supply is good, put it in another computer and it started right up. Put another power supply in bad computer..no startup...No click, no fan, no nothing. Inside of it is pretty dirty, but i don't think that is the reason. Guess the two options may be the front power switch or motherboard...from what I have read so far in other posts. How can I find out which one it could be? Trying to find out something before going to work tomorrow.. To try to save the cost of taking it in to a computer store...
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!

Old 08-02-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Lots of dust accumulated on computer parts can and will cause them to go bad. A thick layer of dirt/dust can cause fans to stop/slow spinning, resulting in frying your cpu. It can also cause other components to overheat. Go invest in some air duster cans and clean that puter out! Although unlikely, this just might solve your problem. But I think that by now you have actually fried something. Most obvious culprit would be your motherboard, since you are not getting any power at all.
You can test your power switch by removing the connectors to the motherboard and touching a paperclip to both pins.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 AM   #3

greetings and welcome to tsf
before you replace anything, toggle the switch on the back of the power supply back and forth a few times.

also make sure you are using an outlet that is working, either the power strip or whatever. sometimes the power strips lose one of the outlets

post back
Old 08-02-2005, 12:27 PM   #4

im with ashler on this one and it seems like the motherboard is to blame. one thing you can do it to take out all of the computer components outside the case and only reseat the bare minimum: power supply, motherboard, cpu, ram, and videocard.

turn on the comp and see if you get any video. you can also try your computer components in a spare case and see if the power switch is to blame.