Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Computer doesn't boot past BIOS screen

This is a discussion on Computer doesn't boot past BIOS screen within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer was working perfectly fine yesterday. When I turned it on today, it wouldn't get past this screen. I

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Ryu Hitokiri

My computer was working perfectly fine yesterday. When I turned it on today, it wouldn't get past this screen. I tried pressing all the options on my keyboard which was working, and nothing happened, it just sat there. My computer's specs are under my profile. This computer was built in 2007. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

It can possibly be your hard drive. Have you tried your slave drive as a master drive?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

Try clearing the CMOS using the Mobo jumper.
UNPLUG the power cord from the PSU-GROUND yourself to a metal are of the case-move the CMOS jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3 for ten seconds-move the jumper back to pins 1 & 2.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

after you try Tyree's suggestions

unplug the hard drive cable; see if the system will continue on further to the message which say "failure to locate disk drive"

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I tried all your suggestions and now I get to a black screen with white DOS writing that says my processor speed and my RAM amount, but it just sits there. It never continues through the post screen.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

try one stick of ram only / if no joy try the other stick alone

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA P35 DS3L
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core e2160 1.6 GHz
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1GB PC6400
Power Supply: Corsair HX520W Modular PSU
Video: BFG Tech GeForce 8800GT OC2
Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Update:

I took out my one stick of RAM and it booted past the post screen and then said no operating system found, which was probably caused when I reset my BIOS. However, I restarted my computer and now I don't see anything. This makes me think my video card is dead. I don't have any other cards or onboard video to try out, so how can I confirm this is the problem?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Reddum

I had something like this happen to me. This is what i did.

Cleared coms using jumpers )__after these 2 make sure to load optimal settings in bios
Pulled battery out of mobo )
Tried using 1 stick of memory
Reseating the memory in different slots
Make sure connections are connected right.

Using 1 stick of memory in a different slot is what ended up working for me. Idk why.....but after it booted i reset it and put the other one back in and it was fine. I hope this helps you. Good luck
Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu Hitokiri View Post
Update:

I took out my one stick of RAM and it booted past the post screen and then said no operating system found, which was probably caused when I reset my BIOS. However, I restarted my computer and now I don't see anything. This makes me think my video card is dead. I don't have any other cards or onboard video to try out, so how can I confirm this is the problem?
Resetting the Bios will not cause the OS not to be seen.
At this point, I would suggest testing on the bench

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective

Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Alright, I tried everything you said. I took everything out of the case. Right now I just have the motherboard, CPU, CPU heatsink, RAM, PCI Express x16 video card, and PSU. Everything boots up fine and it says DISK SYSTEM FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

So I power down my system, plug in power to my SATA drive, connect my SATA drive to my motherboard, and power it back on. It freezes at the BIOS screen and won't let me enter to BIOS. As soon as I disconnect the SATA drive from the motherboard, it boots up fine and asks for a system disk again.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Sounds as if the hdd is bad, try and boot from cd/dvd as a test if it boots fine power down and try another sata cable and port with the hdd just in case

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 03-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ahhh you have found your culprit

bad hard drive

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Ok, well I disconnected my hard drive and now it's freezing at the BIOS with bare bones. Argh, this is so frustrating.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

try no hard drive / one stick of memory / connect the cd-rom drive and try to boot into windows CD .......see if you can get as far as ready to install the OS but it cant find a hard drive to install to?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Registered Member

Like the Tyree said. Start swaping parts. I would start with your PSU.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

Update: Now I don't get any video at all. I've tried two working video cards, but my motherboard doesn't have on board video. I'm 99% sure it's the motherboard failing, anyone else agree?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #19
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Its possible, try stripping it down to only one stick of ram, psu,vid card, cpu with heat sink fan, keyboard monitor, mouse.

Clear the cmos and see if you get any video, if still no video remove the ram, make sure a case speaker is connected and see if it beeps, a lack of beeps indicates its the motherboard but its still a good idea to try a known working psu in it

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
Its possible, try stripping it down to only one stick of ram, psu,vid card, cpu with heat sink fan, keyboard monitor, mouse.

Clear the cmos and see if you get any video, if still no video remove the ram, make sure a case speaker is connected and see if it beeps, a lack of beeps indicates its the motherboard but its still a good idea to try a known working psu in it
I already have it stripped down to that much. I'll try clearing the CMOS. Where can I get a case speaker from?