Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Can't boot from CD/Keyboard won't work

This is a discussion on Can't boot from CD/Keyboard won't work within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright, so here's my issue. I'm trying to install XP on my Computer. I'm tired of Windows 7 and want

Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Alright, so here's my issue.
I'm trying to install XP on my Computer. I'm tired of Windows 7 and want to go back to XP. Here's the problem though...
When i first turn on the computer with the installation disc, it tells me to "Press any Key to boot from CD"
Well, i can't "press any key" because for some reason my keyboard isn't recognized. I'm able to get into the BIOS when the computer first turns on, but after that, it's just not recognized. It also works once i'm logged into windows.
Now, i've heard that i can fix this by Enabling USB Legacy Support. Well i can't find that option ANYWHERE in the BIOS. I have Phoenix-AwardBIOS and i don't see that setting anywhere.
I've also tried different USB Keyboards but have had no luck. My motherboard doesn't have any PS/2 ports so i'm stuck with USB. I've tried using a PS/2 to USB Adapter, but that didn't work either.
I've tried to avoid the whole keyboard issue completely and install XP on my Harddrive using a different computer and it installed successfully.(i used the same keyboard/disc so i know neither my keyboard/disc is bad) But when i put the Harddrive back in my other computer, it just continuously reboots itself before getting to the Windows Welcome Screen.
Please...Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

You can't install Windows on a Hdd and then transfer the Hdd to another PC. The only option there is to boot from the XP CD and do a repair install but that is obviously not an option.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Here's the specs:
It's a custom built PC.
Mobo: Abit Ab9 Pro
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W
Processor: Intel ? overlocked at 3.6ghz
Ram: 2GB DDR2
HD: Seagate 120GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce 7500gt PCIE
Old 08-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

are you uding ps2 keyboard. . didn't you try usb port keyboard
Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm using a USB keyboard, there are no PS/2 ports on this motherboard.