Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Boot problems pre windows boot and during

This is a discussion on Boot problems pre windows boot and during within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello everybody, I am a brand new member and this is my first post. I hope somebody can help me.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

hello everybody,

I am a brand new member and this is my first post. I hope somebody can help me. I have a intermediate knowledge of computers, and built this one on my own but I am experiencing random problems.

I am running an AMD 64 X2 processor, DFI NF4 ultra motherboard with 2 gigs of ram, I have a geforce 7900 gs video card, creative audigy 2 zs sound card.

ok so when i start up the computer, randomly the boot screen hangs and says "boot device has changed...." and I have to press f1 to continue.

Other times, it goes past this stage but hangs at the windows login screen. Sometimes it freezes after everything has loaded (where you choose which account to login with), but sometimes it just loads the background color and freezes or the mouse will move but there's nothing to click on.

I want to say this has been more frequent ever since I upgraded from an ide HDD to a SATA. but I am not 100% sure. it could be my imagination.

I also am experiencing a problem booting when I have a dynex usb hub connected with my ipod shuffle plugged in. This time it hangs just after the CPU chip info comes up. but I might have to start another thread for this problem as is doesn't seem to be related and has just shown up

If there's anybody that can help I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I have left out some information that you will need, and I probably gave too much that you don't need. I apologize for that.

thanks in advance for your help

Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

When you first loaded your OS on the Sata, did you load Sata drivers at the F6 prompt? Also, go in to the Boot area of your bios and make sure the Sata is listed first in the Hard Drive Priority area.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the quick reply.

I don't remember an f6 prompt but it has been a while. Tho I am pretty sure that I installed drivers from a cd.

Right now in the boot screen it shows IDE channels 0 and 1 both master and slaves empty. Channel 2 master is where the Hd shows up and I have a 3rd IDE channel master empty as well

While looking in bios I can only find a sata enable/disable option and not a boot priority.
I do have my hd listed as first however followed by bootable cd, but nothing specefies sata.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Did you set Sata as IDE in the bios?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry, to be honest I'm not sure. I don't think so.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #6

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hey odie789,
so you have two HDDs: SATA and IDE right???
You want SATA to be your boot disk???
But everytime boot order changes...
Tell me under boot tab in Hard Drive Priority how did you set priority???
Make sure your boot HDD [SATA I guess] is first one...
And make IDE HDD to be set as slvae on IDE channel...
Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

sorry if i'm being unclear. When I upgraded to the sata HDD, i got rid of the IDE drive. I know for sure that the new HDD is connected via SATA cables. for some reason though in the bios is shows that it is IDE as mentioned above as IDE channel 2 master. in my boot priority all that shows up is my one HDD, and the second is cd rom. I hope this helps?
Thanks again for your help
Old 08-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #8

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Turn off PC...
Remove CMOS battery... Leave it this way for about 1-2 minutes...
Hit Power Button couple of times...
Put back CMOS battery...
Start PC...
Tell us what happened...
Old 08-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
Registered Member

Sorry if I'm wrong but. Won't that change my setting back to default so shouldn't I copy all of my CMOS/bios settings down? And what does pushing the power button a few times with the battery out do?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #10

My System

Yes by taking out baterry you will reset BIOS and I hope your SATA HDD will be seen as SATA HDD and not on IDE channel...
And hitting power button is thing that I always do, do not know why but learned that from the elders hehe
Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

haha alright thank you sir. I will try it and get back to you.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

aaaaalright, so i reset the bios/cmos by taking the battery out. the issue hasn't really changed any. and as far as I can tell, the bios still reads the drive as IDE. does not specify SATA. I will take a picture of the bios screens if that will help.
I still continue to get random "boot devices have changed press f1 to continue....etc"
Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

*bump* can anybody help me?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #14

My System

Hello again...
Update your BIOS to the latest definition mate...
It could solve the problem...
Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

When you loaded your OS on this Sata drive, did you remember to load the Sata Drivers at the F6 prompt when putting the OS on?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

don't remember. If I didn't. What do I do to fix it? Any way to check?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sorry, if you didn't do this you will need to reload the OS.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
One last thing. Do you think this is the problem with my setup and will i ruin anything if i continue to run it like this?
well thanks for your help fellas
Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

What is the brand name and watts of your power supply? This might have something to do with your freezing?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #20
Registered Member

I have antec. I believe it is a truepower model, not sure if it's the 430 or the 550...... is there a way to check without taking the PSU out?