Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Black Screen and CMOS Checksum Bad

This is a discussion on Black Screen and CMOS Checksum Bad within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. PC SPEC: DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) OS: Microsoft XP SP3 PSU: 600W - Zeno Power Monitor: ViewSonic 21" 1440

Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

PC SPEC:
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
PSU: 600W - Zeno Power
Monitor: ViewSonic 21" 1440 x 900 native resolution
Motherboard: P5GC-MX/1333
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz
Memory: 3448MB RAM Apacer UNB pc2-5300 CL5 2pcs of 2GB
HD: Samsung HD250HJ
DVD/CD RAM-writer: Sony optiarc dvd rw ad-7200s
GPU: HD 6570

Setup:
PC to Extension Cord to AC Outlet

Issue:
On my every first boot of the day for my computer (plug the power cable of the extension cord to the AC Outlet, turn on the AVR, and turn on the system unit) here's what's happening:
1.My screen is black
2.Orange light on the power light of the monitor
3.Red reading light of the system unit is not blinking
4.No spinning sound in the system unit.

So what I do is press the reset button, then the issues 1-4 were fixed, but here's the problem, "CMOS Checksum Bad. Please press F1 to Run Setup, or Please press F2 to load setup defaults and continue"

I can boot whether of the 2 choices but what I've observed is that 75% of the time system clock (when I go to the BIOS and desktop clock after reaching windows, time/date will reset to 01/01/2002 00:00:00, the 25% it will be able to recover it's time/date.

Additional info: Before my GPU is 8500GT, I always got this problem, so what I did is I removed this card and just used onboard GPU, no problem/issues encountered (just can't play heavy games though). After about 2 months relying on onboard GPU I decided to buy this HD6570 (so my GPU is very new! ) but my nightmare is back again! Though unlike 8500GT, w/ HD6570, problem 1-4 can be resolved w/ just one reset while 8500GT it will take 10x doing this "troubleshooting" before it'll be resolved.

More Info: Before I replaced my CMOS, I never had this problem. I was adviced by a comp.tech to replaced it since it's one of the reasons why one of my SATA HDD isn't detected. So I replaced it w/ a new one. The problem w/ detecting the HDD was never resolved, but w/ the new CMOS, this is what I got! I reverted to what I originally had, but would still give me errors! W/ the help online I was able to sort out how to have my system detect my other SATA HDD (it was just reseating it on the other "sata port" on the mobo)

So any ideas? Thanks!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

From what I gathered off Google:

The time error occurs when the date on the system is before the date of the BIOS release, and your battery may be dieing which you'll just have to buy a new one that is if you load defaults on the bios and it doesn't work. If you reconfigure your bios and change the system time and date that error will not come back until you lose power to the computer.

Tons more stuff about the Checksum error. -And how to fix it.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

Please elaborate on "Before I replaced my CMOS". Are you referring to the CMOS battery?
Your PSU is very poor quality.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementei View Post
I checked the linked and I think these may not be true to me since:
CMOS Battery May Not be Functioning Properly I bought a new CMOS battery, but both battery would give me error if and only if I'm using a peripheral GPU.

The BIOS May Have Been Updated - Nope, I haven't updated my BIOS, and I can't update it since I don't have floppy drive

The Computer May Not Have Been Shut Down Properly - i'm always shutting down my computer properly

Quote:
If you reconfigure your bios and change the system time and date that error will not come back until you lose power to the computer.
Yes, correct. To be specific, all the power cords are disconnected from a power source.

Quote:
Please elaborate on "Before I replaced my CMOS". Are you referring to the CMOS battery?
Your PSU is very poor quality.
Yes, I'm referring to CMOS battery.
Do you think it's my PSU causing this error? This is my PSU
OpenPinoy.com - Brand New ZENO 600 Watts Power Supply [ Sold Out ]
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Your problem(s) indicate a power issue. That PSU is definitely a very poor quality unit and is underpowered for your system.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX or GS Series) are top quality.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Your problem(s) indicate a power issue. That PSU is definitely a very poor quality unit and is underpowered for your system.
Thank you! Yeah I think so, it's just 216V on 12V rail.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

We suggest a minimum 550W good quality PSU for any PC using PCI-E graphics.
650W minimum for the 6750.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Not CX? But Corsair's CX430 v2, has a very good feedback right? But if 550W well I think I should not choose that since min is 550W.

Btw, the available PSU in my area that I'm getting confuse w/c too get are ff:
Antec Truepower 80+ Bronze 750W Modular
FSP Supersonic 80+ 550W

Any pick w/in this 2?

If none, these are the rest of the available PSU in my area.
Silverstone Strider ST50F 500W @ 2,850
Thermaltake Litepower 500W @ 2,490
FSP Supersonic 80+ 650W @ 2,990
FSP Everest 85+ 700W Modular @ 4,200
Enermax Liberty ECO II 620w Modular @ 3,750
Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

Antec Truepower 80+ Bronze 750W Modular

best of that lot although we don't recommend antec
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

The Antec True Power is definitely the best of those you have listed. I wouldn't even consider any of the others.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
The Antec True Power is definitely the best of those you have listed. I wouldn't even consider any of the others.
Thanks for the advice !