Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

bios update for vista ultimate

This is a discussion on bios update for vista ultimate within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i purchased an emachines motherboard and i can only find a bios update for xp. that update fixes the very

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
taj
Registered Member

i purchased an emachines motherboard and i can only find a bios update for xp. that update fixes the very problem im trying to fix. agp apature size from 128 to 512. any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It's the same bios, regardless of operating system. The problem would be trying to run an xp program in vista to do a bios flash within windows. However, you don't want to ever flash a bios using a windows utility. Bios flash + windows = bad.
Most bad flashes and bricked motherboards seem to be as a result of flashing from within windows.
Can you update an emachines bios with a floppy or usb stick?

And the single most important thing. Why? Never flash your bios unless you need a more recent version so that you can install a cpu that needs the newer version to support, or you are experiencing an issue that is fixed by the new bios. There is no reason to flash a bios that doesn't need it, and just for the sake of updating, is not a valid reason.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Does the motherboard currently work? If not, what is the problem?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
taj
Registered Member

thank you for your reply and the answer is yes i can.also if you will notice in the thread i mentioned that im trying to increase my agp apature size to 512mb from 128mb.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

check what the updates are for and see if any of them will change the aperature size.