Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Bios Setting OR Windows XP problem, cant start windows MB:ASUS K8S-MX

This is a discussion on Bios Setting OR Windows XP problem, cant start windows MB:ASUS K8S-MX within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I am stuck from two days with this motherboard ASUS K8S-MX. First I installed windows xp sp2 and

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cool

Hi there,
I am stuck from two days with this motherboard ASUS K8S-MX.
First I installed windows xp sp2 and during intallation when it reboot it gives error STOP: boot_mount_volume(not sure exact words becasue at work now).
Then I reinstall windows again, it creates another problem. which is,
when i set boot sequence to cd rom then it automatically starts from cd rom, without pressing any button to boot from cd, so i can not complete the installation process. (2) if i set boot sequence to hard drive then it does not start widnows and goes in a loop when everytime it reaches the first windows start screen.
Then I put the installed harddrive from other pc. It have two operating system installed on that hard drive(windows and linux). if i select linux it starts and works fine but if i start windows then again the same problem it goes in the restart loop again and again.
Any help will be appreciated, I am realy stuck and making this computer for my friend. Never used this system before.(AMD 2600 supron processor, MB asus k8s-mx, 256 Ram, cd-rewriter as slave, hard disk as master)

imran

Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakhan1
Hi there,
I am stuck from two days with this motherboard ASUS K8S-MX.
First I installed windows xp sp2 and during intallation when it reboot it gives error STOP: boot_mount_volume(not sure exact words becasue at work now).
Then I reinstall windows again, it creates another problem. which is,
when i set boot sequence to cd rom then it automatically starts from cd rom, without pressing any button to boot from cd, so i can not complete the installation process. (2) if i set boot sequence to hard drive then it does not start widnows and goes in a loop when everytime it reaches the first windows start screen.
Then I put the installed harddrive from other pc. It have two operating system installed on that hard drive(windows and linux). if i select linux it starts and works fine but if i start windows then again the same problem it goes in the restart loop again and again.
Any help will be appreciated, I am realy stuck and making this computer for my friend. Never used this system before.(AMD 2600 supron processor, MB asus k8s-mx, 256 Ram, cd-rewriter as slave, hard disk as master)

imran

Old 06-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
A new motherboard will not boot Windows from a drive that was installed on another PC. Try using another IDE cable or two and if possible a NEW and CLEAN HDD.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus
A new motherboard will not boot Windows from a drive that was installed on another PC. Try using another IDE cable or two and if possible a NEW and CLEAN HDD.
Actually I build up this pc totally new. First I tried with new hard disk. It got the same problem. Then I thought it is problem with hard disk, so i tested with old hard disk. The problem was still there. I have tried other IDE cables but no gain.
The problem is it goes all the time in a loop and boot automaticaly all the time if it is set at hard disk as a first boot sequence.
and if I keep on cd rom as a first boot sequence then all the time it uploads windows file from cd when everytime it boots. so cant complete the installation process.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #5

hello
i believe its your memory
you might have to relax the timings [ take it off of spd ]
the loopdy loop happened to me until i messed with the memory in the bios.
hope it works for you

if that doesnt work try mem test
good luck
Old 06-01-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

recheck the jumpers on the drives and make sure you are using an 80 wire eide cable
Old 06-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai
recheck the jumpers on the drives and make sure you are using an 80 wire eide cable
Hi there,
thanks for your so quick response.
I came home from work and took off the memory and also reset the jumers again. but no gain.
However I am new to pc, so can you explain that which one is 80 pin cable, i think i am already using 80 pin cable, if it is with two mouth IDE cable then I am also using it, if it is different then can you please explain it. thanks
I have tried again, put the new harddrive back but after loading files when reboots automaticaly then instead of starting windows it starts uploading files again. I am thinking to try another operating system that if i install linux red hat 8.0 if that works then try downloading windows again.
could this trick work not sure.
any idea, help will safe my time and tension. thanks again in advance for helping me.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it usually has a blue end that goes into blue slot on m/b
just put the new h/d as master on the end of the cable as the only drive
set the bios to boot from cd first
pop in the xp cd and reboot
choose install and let widows disk do the format when it asks
what do you mean by d/l windows again
Old 06-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai
it usually has a blue end that goes into blue slot on m/b
just put the new h/d as master on the end of the cable as the only drive
set the bios to boot from cd first
pop in the xp cd and reboot
choose install and let widows disk do the format when it asks
what do you mean by d/l windows again
thanks for reply again.
i have set the default setting again, set the jumpers to delete everything from motherboard, have used the HD as Master.
what happen when i reboot from cd windows, it upload windows files, then format the whole disk and after formating it says then system will reboot.
when it reboots, normaly it happens that after reboot windows screen apear and rest of windows process continues, but in my case when it reboots, it again reboot from windows cd and ask for format again.
The problem is after formating and then rebooting it should go to windows screen and should do next installation process but mine do not. it just stays in this loop.
did u got it.
any idea again.
thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

how much ram have you got
try whodatknocking suggestion
Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
Registered Member

Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai
how much ram have you got
try whodatknocking suggestion
hi there again,
thnks for your advince,
I have tried my own option which seems to be work ok so far.
i have installed linux operating system, and then windows it works ok.
I am trying to upload everyporgram if in case there is any problem occur again. but still going fine.
I think this is problem with some windows xpsp2.
thanks for your help.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
You may also want to get a program called memtest86 and run that a few times. Dai may be right. I mean, he is pretty smart so... I'll shutup now :X

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus
You may also want to get a program called memtest86 and run that a few times. Dai may be right. I mean, he is pretty smart so... I'll shutup now :X
thanks for your help again.
However I resolve the problem but still dont understand exactly what was problem.
As you said memtest86, I dont have any idea how to do it, if you could explain it to me how to do test and how its function work. Is it some kind of software etc.