Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Bios Reset HP Comaq 6730b Problems.

This is a discussion on Bios Reset HP Comaq 6730b Problems. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought a HP Compaq 6730b that ran XP off of Craigslist and it worked great but the hard drive

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

I bought a HP Compaq 6730b that ran XP off of Craigslist and it worked great but the hard drive went bad so I bought a new one. When I went to install the new hard drive I wanted to go into the Bios to change the settings to boot from the DVD drive to install windows 7 (figured I would upgrade the OS) and found out the Bios is locked. I tried to call the guy but his number didn't work anymore. So I google searched " bios unlock 6730b". I have tried to reset the bios by pulling out the RTC (real time clock) battery and waiting 5 minutes and starting it back up but still no results. It will let me try to install XP and then goes straight to BSOD after loading some files. I even tried to boot SLAX linux from the DVD drive but that fails too. Is the Bios locked to that OS?
I read some where that the bios can be locked to a certain OS and there is a file on the hard drive that checks the file on the bios to make sure its the same. Much thanks for any info.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Please explain how the Bios is locked? Does it require a password? OEM PC's will/should allow setting the boot order.
What are the Error Codes on the BSOD?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread