Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

BIOS reset causes 0RPM fan speed display

This is a discussion on BIOS reset causes 0RPM fan speed display within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The backstory I'm using the ASUS P5QL PRO motherboard. Every so often I get a problem when trying to wake

Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

The backstory

I'm using the ASUS P5QL PRO motherboard.

Every so often I get a problem when trying to wake my computer from sleep mode, in which it enters a coma and won't allow any output or input to peripherals. I always fix the problem by removing the motherboard battery, holding down the power button, and putting the battery back in. When I reboot the computer it prompts me to load the default BIOS and starts in the state just before sleep. Then everything is fine.

This happened today, and I did exactly as described above. Everything is fine, except...

The problem

AI suite's fan control center (which I think utilises QFan) is controlling my CPU fan perfectly, but is reporting my CHASSIS1 and POWER fans as having 0RPM, as shown here:

I'm guessing that it's something to do with my BIOS being reset? The fans are definitely working, I just worry that they won't be controlled if the temp gets too high (if they are? I'm not sure they vary in speed...).

I tried updating my BIOS at the ASUS site, as I believe I've done before, but there's no easy way to do so other than by flashing it apparently (though I'm sureI've done it before...), and their chipset drivers are impossible to find...

Can anyone help me out? Is it even a problem that the AI suite is reporting 0RPM for those fans?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have always had issues with AI suite, I have a board similar to yours.

It has never correctly reported the fan speeds. I would suggest using a fan controller other than the chassis power for case fans.

shotgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply!

Could you perhaps suggest a good fan speed reporter and controller? :)

I guess the chassis1 and power fans don't change according to temperature differences? I don't want my PC to melt :P
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As far as a reporter? I dont know. I dont use those fancy ones. I use a simple knob controller.

There are may digital display ones with temp probes. But as far as suggesting you to you I have no idea.

Have a look here
5.25" Controllers | Page 1 | Sort By: Product Title A-Z - FrozenCPU.com *

The one I use (but in black)
Lamptron High Wattage 6 Channel Rheobus - Silver (FC-2) - FrozenCPU.com
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Here is one on another thread I found that might interest you
Aerocool X-Vision EN55529 Multifunktions Front Panel Fits in 5.25in Bay Five Sets of Fan Controller Thermal Sensors Placement for CPU VGA Cooler and HDD-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Sorry, I was far too vague! By 'fan controller' I meant something like AI Suite; a program that runs on the desktop, rather than a physical and external fan controller.

That said, they do look awesome. I might invest in one in the future!

Thanks again for your replies :)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Try using speed fan. SpeedFan - Download.com

However I still recommend using a dedicated fan controller. The more fans you use off your motherboard the more voltage will go thru it.