Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Bios corrupt on laptop, how can I fix it?

This is a discussion on Bios corrupt on laptop, how can I fix it? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I updated the bios on my acer travelmate 2700 laptop, the procedure appeared to work without errors using the supplied

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I updated the bios on my acer travelmate 2700 laptop, the procedure appeared to work without errors using the supplied update program for windows, the laptop shut down when it had finished. I followed the instructions to the letter but the laptop will no longer boot up.

When I switch it on I hear a long beep followed by two short beeps, my friend tells me that this means that the bios is corrupted. After the beeps the hard drive spins up and the access light flashes for a second then nothing else happens. The screen is always blank.

My friend told me that on older laptops with floppy drives that you could reflash the bios blind by using a bootable program on a floppy but he doesn't know if this is possible on laptops with cd/dvd drives.

Is there anyway I can reflash the bios on this laptop myself without sending it away for repair?

Thank you in advance for you help!

Old 02-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Can anyone help?

Old 02-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
if you can get to the CMOS battery >>> then most likely you can also get access to the bios chip ????? you can have your bios chip (eprom) reflashed by a vendor on ebay cheaply. Go to ebay >>>> do a search for "bios Chip" look in the items until you find a seller named Angelib I have used him several times, very fast turn around time and very good communicator. The bios chip will just pop out with the use of two paper clips with little hooks bent on their ends / make sure you write down on paper the orientation of the chip PRIOR to removal >>> every chip as an identifing edge >>> it will be a squared off corner or shallow half circle indent etc >>>> dotn use stickers or writing on the chips as orientation marks !! been there done that !! dont work ~ ~ ~ when you install a chip in the wrong orientation it smokes the new one !! :(

there is a way to blind flash your bios even with a CD rom drive >>>> I dont remember off the top of my head >>>> with the instructions for flashing with a CD drive are at
www.bootdisk.com scroll down about 1/3rd of the page >>>> you will see BOOTABLE CD

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 02-13-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
http://www.tipidpc.com/cham_bootblock.php

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
there is a way to blind flash your bios even with a CD rom drive >>>> I dont remember off the top of my head >>>> with the instructions for flashing with a CD drive are at
www.bootdisk.com scroll down about 1/3rd of the page >>>> you will see BOOTABLE CD
I assume that this will not work if there is no power detectable at any of the three USB ports. Or can I use a self powered CD drive?
By the way, Fan works, power light works,
Just thinking about taking another crack at my wife's netbook before going out and replacing it. (Acer Aspire One AOA110)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

I had not realised that the last reply was several years old...............hopefully there's someone still out there following this thread.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

Hancock

Whenever you have a problem you should create a new thread. Asking a question in an existing thread like this only causes confusion and makes it more difficult to resolve your problem. Include hardware details and a clear description of your problem.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thank you....will do.