Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

BIOS beeps and mouse/keyboard not functioning

This is a discussion on BIOS beeps and mouse/keyboard not functioning within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I wonder if anyone could possibly help with this problem. I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC. Yesterday, the mouse

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

I wonder if anyone could possibly help with this problem.

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC. Yesterday, the mouse cursor began to jump across the screen, or at least not move smoothly. The internet connection (dial-up) was also haphazard and intermittent.

I used the built-in Constructive Recovery partition to reset the computer but not delete the data files.

This morning after using that, the computer is having problems starting up. It beeps twice, quickly, and then six times, before the fan continues but nothing starts up.

Yet the next time I turn it on it boots up, Windows XP loads, and then within a few seconds both my mouse and keyboard become non-functional, meaning that I can do nothing but power off again.

I have tried to restart the recovery partition, but again, the keyboard and mouse stop working before it can actually get started.

It does detect these two peripherals but then for some reason it stops detecting them i.e. I can move the mouse cursor around for a few seconds before it stops completely, while the computer is starting up.

I took the heat sink off the processor to check there was no problem and that seemed fine.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It is odd that it sometimes beeps and does not boot, whereas other times when it does the keyboard and move become incapacitated.

Also, I cannot start the computer in safe mode - I can go into the BIOS menu for around half a minute before the keyboard stops working, but if I try to start safe mode it tells me it cannot start because the file hal.dll is not present or is corrupted.

Can I get round this problem in any way perhaps from the BIOS menu, or get the destructive recovery partition to work without waiting for the recovery screen to load (as by then it is impossible as the keyboard and mouse have stopped working and I can do nothing).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob

Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

2 short beeps would be a Post Error and the 6 short beeps refers to the keyboard or the Mobo chip. Try another keyboard.
How old is the PC?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Closed Thread