Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

Asus Striker II won't POST BOOT

This is a discussion on Asus Striker II won't POST BOOT within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've just finished a new build with an Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i Ultra SLi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've just finished a new build with an Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i Ultra SLi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard, 1 Processor - 1 x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 / 3.2 GHz, 2 x EVGA 9800GX2 SSC Edition 1GB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card, Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU , LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Rewriter & HD-DVD ROM Serial ATA Drive , Icy Dock MB-455SPF 3 x 5.25" Bays for hot swapping, Zalman Reserator 1 V2 Water Cooling System, OCZ 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 2000Mhz PC3 16000 PLATINUM SERIES,Plexus Wireless-N (draft 2.0) PCI Adapter, and 2 x Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache. NOTHING!!

After the initial disapointment, tears, and lack of hair I can now finally get down to fixing the comp. On the LED display that comes with the MOBO, DET IDE is the last thing it says before error? I can't get past this point. I thought it could possibly be the hard drives, so tried another that i know works from a past comp, no go. Tried all monitor ports on the video cards. Tried one video card at a time, all no go. The MOBO lights up nicely and fans kick in, video cards kick in, all appears to be normal. EXCEPT not a flicker on the screen. Any help would be veeeeeeeery much appreciated. It has three short beeps also.

Cheers

Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

You should check the beep codes (most are listed in the new motherboard manual) for your unit. Some times, they are kind of buried, but are usually in there. If this is not the case, then you need to check the beep codes to see what it is telling you:

BEEP CODES

Old 09-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that board uses an AMI bios. The 3 beeps translates to a memory read/write error during POST. I would remove all but one of your 2G sticks of RAM and try to boot again. Your bios may not be setting your memory voltage/bus speed/timings correctly, and 4 sticks will not tolerate this as well as a single stick. If you can get things to initialize correctly, and the display comes up, enter the bios and then manually set the memory timings according to the OCZ specs for the PC3 16000 sticks. (If it still will not POST, swap in different sticks of your RAM, some are more tolerant than others.) If you can get that far, I would suggest installing your OS before you try to go with all 4 sticks of RAM.

One other thought, if the above does not work, you might try clearing your bios using the procedure outlined in your manual. Sometimes settings left behind from factory quality testing can cause POST issues with hardware you have selected. In fact, it is usually wise to limit your first POST to a simple install of cpu, minimal memory, and a single video card, to avoid issues.

Hope you get it sorted out! That's a really nice pile of components, you must be itching to get it going!

:)

Ender