Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

ASUS P5Q Firewire extra ports

This is a discussion on ASUS P5Q Firewire extra ports within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ASUS P5Q Pro Mobo in my PC has only one internal 10-1 pin header on-board serving as a Firewire port,

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

ASUS P5Q Pro Mobo in my PC has only one internal 10-1 pin header on-board serving as a Firewire port, and currently the PC's Front 1324a-type 6-circuit connector is hooked to it via a 10-1 pin internal socket. I also installed a backplate bracket with iLink type small Firewire 4-circuit connector. The problem now is to hook that 4-circuit connector to the same Firewire 10-pin header on the Mobo, where standard Firewire connector is already hooked.

I don't want to install extra PCI card for that, and neither use external 6-to-4 pin adapters. I only need to use one connector or the other at a time, so no risk to fry anything, if hooked to the same port. Anyone can point to an extension cable adapter, or a pass-through 10-pin socket (that I can solder wires to) to be able to hook two 10-pin socket FW connectors to the same 10-pin header on the Mobo?

Also, I read in many places this phrase: "FireWire also supports multiple hosts per bus". What does this exactly mean? Can you give a few examples? Does this mean, I can connect 2 Firewire devices at the same time to my Front and Rear FW connectors, even if they both hooked to the same internal 10-pin header?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

As far as I know, you can only attach one connector at a time. For cabling, maybe try a local PC shop or check a site such as newegg, they may also have internal cabling.

The firewire spec allows for multiple devices (think USB). And like USB, each port requires a separate connector on the motherboard.

Google is your Friend!
Closed Thread