Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

AS Rock AM2 expansion slot problems

This is a discussion on AS Rock AM2 expansion slot problems within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have recently purchased an AMD AM2 X2 4600+ CPU and decided I would like to use this in

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have recently purchased an AMD AM2 X2 4600+ CPU and decided I would like to use this in my AS Rock 939 motherboard as it had an expansion slot in it to make it upgradeable to accept AM2 CPU's.

I managed to get hold of an expansion card and installed the CPU/Heatsink and RAM as instructed and plugged it all in, remembering to change the motherboard jumper settings as indicated.

Once all was installed I powered on the PC only for the monitor to stay totally blank...

I have since dismantled the PC and tried it all again but this has not helped and I still just get a blank screen when the computer is powered on.

I checked that the expansion slot has power and it does as the CPU fan is spinning...

Does anyone have any experience of this or have any ideas? I would really appreciate any ideas as I am hoping none of it is broken and I dont really want to have to fork out for a new motherboard as I do not know anyone else that has an AM2 system that I could test parts in..

Thanks.

Coolermaster Wavemaster Case
AS Rock Dual Series 939 ULI 1695 motherboard (upgradeable to AM2 with expansion card)
AMD AM2 4600+ X2 Dual Core CPU
ATI Radeon 9800XT GPU
G Skill 2gig DDR2 800mhz memory (2x1gig)
Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard

Old 07-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

where are your psu details,is it putting out enough power to run it

Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, the PSU is 480w.. I think it is an Antec one.. I think that should give it enough juice to run?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried resetting the jumpers again? I have this board (not the CPU expansion board though), and there are a lot of jumpers on it and it can be very easy to miss one. Also, I think the CPU expansion board needs the power directly plugged in (I can't remember if it was or not). The 4-pin power I think is what plugs into it. It may still get power without that, but not be able to run correctly.

Finally, two more questions: is the tower upright, or laying on it's side? This expansion board is heavy, and may need to be proped up if the tower is verticle (this happened with some of the heavier 6600 and 6800 video cards). Finally, have you tried reseating the heatsink? It could be that it's not making good thermal contact and the CPU is overheating.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes I have checked all the jumper settings and they are all correct... The instructions show to change 11 of them and I have checked these and they are all correct..

The tower is upright but the expansion board is screwed in and seems to be holding ok. The 4 pin power lead is plugged into it..

I have also reseated the heatsink and this is ok.. I put some new thermal paste on it to be sure but it has not made any difference to when it was just the standard pad...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Do you have any other AM2 boards to test this CPU in? Or any other proces to test in this?
Also, what is the RAM you have in it? If it's faster than DDR2-800, it may not even allow it to boot up.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

One thing I did notice though is that the heatsink that came with the CPU looks identical to the 939 one I had.. However, the expansion slot for the motherboard has a slightly different shape retention and so, although the heatsink slots in ok and the clips either side grab the clasps, the actual level on the heatsink has nothing to hold on to... Not sure if this would cause any problems though.. The heatsink seems very well held down and does not move at all etc.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Unfortunately I do not have any other AM2 boards to use or any other way to test any of it.

The RAM is DDR2 800 PC6400 and according to the board info and CPU info is compatible with both..

Thanks for your help so far :)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

see if you can borrow a 550-650w quality supply to try in it
you need 300w supply just to run the cpu and the m/b
Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

I have a 500w PSU around here somewhere... If I use that would I need to plug the whole thing in or would it suffice if I just plugged in the 20 pin and 4 pin motherboard leads and also the GPU one?

Sorry to ask but I dont know if anything else would be needed to be plugged in just to test if it will start!

Or do you think I would need to get something slightly more beefy than 500w? If so I will need to buy one doh!

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try it or borrow before you buy
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry... I have tried the 500w PSU but it didnt make any difference. I dont know anyone that uses a PSU more than 480w..

Maybe upgrading to AM2 so soon wasnt such a great idea for me hehe!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried to remove the motherboard and such from the case? It could be shorting out on the case.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

get a supply from a place with a returns policy
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
Registered Member

OK thank you both for the help..

I will keep having a play around with it to try and get it working... If I dont get anywhere I think I will buy a new PSU and maybe wait for the new AM2 AS Rock motherboard to be released and just buy that.. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long!

I just hope that it isnt the CPU or RAM that is broken as I may not know until I have bought the new motherboard and by then it may be too late to return.

Thanks for your help and I will keep trying :)