Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Any suggestion on this old pc?

2K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  ladynyo 
#1 ·
Hello,

My pc gave out after 3 yr of service. The tech guy told me that it's the motherboard died and need to be replaced, he asked me 135 euros for it.

I was about to build a new gaming pc, but then i thought why not start with this to gain some confidence and experience.

The old mother board is a gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2
Cpu intel i5
Gpu gigabyte gt 640(i believe)
Ram kingston 1333, 4gb x 2
Power supply maxinpower 580 w

And my question is:
- if i just want to fix this pc which motherboard should i choose to replace the current one

- or if i want to upgrade this baby, what then?

Many thanks in advance.

P/s: this is what the inside looks like.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Any suggestion on this old pc?

Sorry for the late reply as i just got home from work.

Well it started with a serie of beeping non stop following a reboot just to do it over again.
Then i tried to reseat everything, after that i got 1 long beep with 2 short beep(or 3 i can't really tell).
Later on the tech guy informed me that the motherboard was bad and needed to be replaced.

#9 · (Edited)

Hello,

My pc gave out after 3 yr of service. The tech guy told me that it's the motherboard died and need to be replaced....

I was about to build a new gaming pc, but then i thought why not start with this to gain some confidence and experience.

The old mother board is a gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2
Cpu intel i5
Gpu gigabyte gt 640(i believe)
Ram kingston 1333, 4gb x 2
Power supply maxinpower 580 w

And my question is:
- if i just want to fix this pc which motherboard should i choose to replace the current one

- or if i want to upgrade this baby, what then?

Many thanks in advance.
Being around three years old it is doubtful the Motherboard is covered by warranty.
You could replace with the exact same board, but as you want a gaming system you can pick up a Z77 Motherboard for a reasonable price, these offer more features and your CPU (processor) and GPU will slot right in, as will the existing ram.
I would suggest getting a quality Power Supply Unit of at least 600W @ 80%+ efficiency.
Depending on the existing case size you may be able to fit an ATX Motherboard, or you can stay with the m-ATX size.

#19 · (Edited)

If i just want to fix this pc which motherboard should i choose to replace the current one
You have do some searching but the Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 is still available; can be found, both new and used, for less than €50. Also B75 and Z77 chipset boards (also socketed for LGA 1155 so current CPU, memory will mount) are available for not much more.

You do not specify which i5 proc you have, but most all the desktop i5's are 3+GHz quad cores. Any of them will carry a mid-level gaming set. Hold onto the memory; not the fastest, but 8GB is plenty for current gaming.

To then turn the PC into a gamer, look at graphics. Your GT 640 is on the low side of entry level cards. Look at replacing it with something like a GTX 750Ti or R7 260X (or better).

Your power supply is unknown to me, but going by nameplate watts alone, it should carry any mid-level card as is. Extended sessions at your favourite game places a lot of stress on the supply, so you might still want to invest in a high quality, known-brand.

If i want to upgrade this baby, what then?
Other than power and graphics, there is not much to upgrade without doing a full rebuild. You could carry over the memory, drives and case, but those are often the least expensive components. Look at adding an SSD.

#27 · (Edited)

Just be certain that the new mobo (if different than your current board) has full support for your current processor. Confirm this at the board manufacturer's product pages.

Also, note that if swapping in a different (than the current) motherboard, a reinstall (or at the least a repair) of the operating will probably be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.