Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

vista/XP and dvd burner problem

This is a discussion on vista/XP and dvd burner problem within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an acer T180 and the problem that I have is that when running Vista my cd/dvd burner won't

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an acer T180 and the problem that I have is that when running Vista my cd/dvd burner won't work at all. I already tried the filter thing and they weren't listed. I then went to investigate the BIOS and the burner is not even listed. The thing is when I run XP pro the only prolem is that the dvd burner won't work. I'm completely stumped. I really just want to burn DVDs so a fix to either problem would be great..... though I'd like to figure out how to solve both. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh also for the XP side of things I went and looked for an update and could only find an update for vista related software if that helps.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check the data cable is secure
try a new data cable
until it is seen by the bios it will not be seen anywhere else

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have tried this with a known good cable and made sure connections were tight and still having the same problem. The thing is that when I don't have vista installed it will run on xp just not burn DVDs it will read DVD just not burn.

Decided to recheck data cable and everything was fine. Changed the jumpers to one being master and one being slave rather than having them both set to cable. Now they are registered in the bios, so now where do I go from here?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you checked the burning
Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

have you checked the burning means what? Now I once again have nothing connecting. I have an older cd burner that I removed off the ribbon originally and it sorta fixed the problem. Could this be the issue the second older burner? It still wouldn't explain why the dvd/cd burner player won't read in vista.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you checked if it burns
were you in vista when you checked the filters
try removing and reinstalling your burning software
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

already tried that and no help
Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

can you try the drive in another computer to check if it is the problem
Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Registered Member

The older drive was working in the computer it was in. The other drive is brand new. Either way I have no current way to test in another computer.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you are using an 80 wire cable with the black,grey and blue plugs
try with just the new drive connected as master and plugged into the end black plug
Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
Registered Member

OK I'll post the entire history of the problem. When I got the computer vista home basic was installed and the new drive wouldn't work correctly. I installed XP and it worked. I then added the older drive with the new drive connected to the ribbon as master and the older drive as slave and both drives jumped for ribbon select. They worked shortly and I mean for only a matter of a day. I then disconnected the older drive and the new drive worked fine. I then installed vista ultimate and the new drive worked. I decided to add the second drive back with the first config. They then both worked in xp and vista. After a few days neither worked. I then set the jumper as the new drive master and the older drive slave. Then it worked for a few more days. Then I disconnected the older drive and it worked again, but once again I'm back to the new drive only working in XP and not Vista. Even when I remove the old drive and leave the new one it will only work in XP and will only work in Vista for a short time till it disappears.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Now thinking about it the only thing I haven't done is connect the new drive as the slave on the ribbon. I know the ribbon is ok because it worked on the last computer with two drives before I removed it and the older drive I'm using now. Could it be a dirt build up in the slave connector on the ribbon that happened when I removed it? and thats causing problems recognizing the older drive and killing the whole line? Sounds unlikely but I'm just about out of ideas.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try a new cable as they get older they also get brittler and just removing a cable from a drive can crack one of the wires in the cable
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

See I also tried that so I guess what I was thinking was more in terms of the dirt build up being on the older drive. I think though investing in a brand new one might be an option.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

they are cheap these days