Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

USB keeps connecting and disconnecting

This is a discussion on USB keeps connecting and disconnecting within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I tried to boot windows installation from a USB (which i did) it ended with an error which was

Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I tried to boot windows installation from a USB (which i did) it ended with an error which was likely caused by some bios security setting, it said something like it can't write the necessary data on harddrive.

When i removed the USB and put it into my PC, it began to behave very strange. It's not visible in device manager, disk management or anywhere else. At the beginning when i had auto play enabled, it would open a new explorer window and immediately say that i need to insert a USB drive. Then i disabled auto play, explorer stopped popping up, but I still can't see the drive anywhere and icons on the start panel are blinking (as i guess windows attempts to install the device but fails each time).

Any advice please?
Alexius321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Sounds like the drive is failing . . have you tried a different one?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

@Alexius321, I have deleted your other thread, please do not create multiple threads on the same issue as its against forum rules.

Quote:
MULTIPLE POSTING

This refers to posting the same question or same replies in multiple areas of the site (also called flooding). Please only post only once. If you feel you have posted in the wrong forum, contact a Moderator or Manager, who will move the post for you. This also includes the creation of multiple new threads on the same or similar topics and sending PM's continuously to one or more Staff members.

Rules

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

It's pretty obvious that the drive is failing, I'd like to ask why... sorry for the double post, I wasn't sure where exactly I should ask. The USB stick was working just fine before i tried to use it on that other notebook. Any ideas if there's something that I could do to try and repair the USB stick?

Also, what if i use a different USB stick and it will die just the same?
Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

it was probably a coincidence that the drive failed while in the other computer.
Try a different USB Flash Drive and if that also fails then there is some hardware issue with that computer that is killing USB drives.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

Tried a different one, it worked just fine. But i did a factory reset of bios before the new attempt. I had to reset some fingerprint and encryption settings, is it possible that i accidentally half-encrypted the usb stick or something like that?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

I really think it just failed, that it was in another computer is just a coincidence
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well, thank you for your attention :)