Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

USB has no partition/storage

This is a discussion on USB has no partition/storage within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, Recently went to use a USB that I used to use a few years ago for a bootable

Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Win XP, Windows 7 Home Premium, 7 Ultimate, Fedora.

Hi All,

Recently went to use a USB that I used to use a few years ago for a bootable image.

The USB is detected in Windows (get the notification that it has been plugged in) however it doesn't show in 'My Computer' or 'Disk Management'.

It is detected in 'Device Manager', as I can see a new listing of 'USB Mass Storage Device' appears, once the flash drive is plugged in.

Question is, how can I make the flash drive usable again? No important data was on it, so happy to do anything to get the thing working again.

Thanks!
Alexx
xDeadMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

With the Flash Drive plugged in,
Go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator.
In the Elevated Command Prompt type Diskpart and press enter.
At the Diskpart prompt type List Disk and press enter.
This should show all of the Disks including the Flash Drive. If it lists the USB Flash, then type Select Disk x Where X is the disk number of the flash drive in the previous command and press enter
Now type Clean, this will wipe out all data on the drive, so be sure you have chosen the correct drive.
Now go back to Disk Management and the USB Flash should show up in the lower pane as a drive with Unallocated Space. You now can right click that and choose to make a New Simple Volume and Format it and give it a drive letter.
If the Drive does not show up in Diskpart or Disk Management, then the drive has failed and needs to be replaced.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Win XP, Windows 7 Home Premium, 7 Ultimate, Fedora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
With the Flash Drive plugged in,
Go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator.
In the Elevated Command Prompt type Diskpart and press enter.
At the Diskpart prompt type List Disk and press enter.
This should show all of the Disks including the Flash Drive. If it lists the USB Flash, then type Select Disk x Where X is the disk number of the flash drive in the previous command and press enter
Now type Clean, this will wipe out all data on the drive, so be sure you have chosen the correct drive.
Now go back to Disk Management and the USB Flash should show up in the lower pane as a drive with Unallocated Space. You now can right click that and choose to make a New Simple Volume and Format it and give it a drive letter.
If the Drive does not show up in Diskpart or Disk Management, then the drive has failed and needs to be replaced.
Nope, doesn't show in DiskPart of Disk Management

Guess I'll go buy a new 64GB USB.

Thanks for the suggestion!
xDeadMemories is offline   Reply With Quote