Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] nonrecognition of DVD drive

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  nedrod 
#1 ·
I have two DVD drives. One, a Samsung Writemaster SATA drive is not being recognized. It does not show up in the BIOS even though I have physically uninstalled and reinstalled it. The other, a Memorex 16x DDL-IN, does not recognize DVD media. Both music and data CD's seem to be ok. I attempted to use the remedy found on another thread re: a registry edit fix (deleting UpperFilters and the LowerFilters). However, when I went to the registry, neither of those subkeys were present. Is there something else you can suggest? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks

#7 ·
Re: nonrecognition of DVD drive

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I do have software players. VLC is one. The problem is that the drive does not recognize the DVD media. Even when I start a player and attempt to start from that, I get a message that there is no disc in the drive and to insert a disc.

#8 ·

Did you ever get a solution?
I have an external LG dvdram GSA-E60L it used to work on my laptop and desktop (both on XP). When I moved and plugged it back in it didn’t. I tried to uninstall the drive then reinstall (on both), didn’t work. Sent it back to LG they sent a new one, doesn’t work. Sent that back, they sent a new one, still doesn’t work. I have tried it on 3 computers. Each time it labels it a DvdRam, uses shows in device drivers as a CD/DVD with regular Cdrom drivers. When I insert a disc it doesn’t auto play, when I open the drive in DVD software it asks to insert disc. In My Computer/Explorer, if I open/explore it is an empty page. Please help it used to work and now the new replacements (same type of drive) don’t work.

#10 ·

I finally took the drive to friend and installed it into his machine. Same thing happens so our best guess is that the laser is bad and I'll have to replace the unit. I was fooled since both problems happened at the same time. Thank you for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.