Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

[SOLVED] HELP - Code 41 WINXP PRO

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] HELP - Code 41 WINXP PRO within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. here's my problem: My PC: HP a6230n OS: WINXP PRO SP3 Problem: CD/DVD-RW Code 41 (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L SCSI). Here's

Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

here's my problem:
My PC: HP a6230n
Problem: CD/DVD-RW Code 41 (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L SCSI).

Here's how it started:
I attempted to start a game and was told to put the disk in the drive. Open the drive low-and-behold the disk is already in. I close it, try again, and it tells me the same thing. So I open My Computer and drive D:\ isn't being shown...

Here's what I've tried:
I open Device Manager and it tells me the most current driver is installed but the device itself is not found. I uninstall the device in DM and reinstall using Add Hardware. Still getting Code 41. Now I uninstall it again in DM and then shut down. Physically unplug the device and restart (scan for new hardware, none found; good at this point), shut down and then physically reinstall and restart. Using Add Hardware I reinstall the device and I still get Code 41.
Now after trying everything I can do physically, I go to HP's website to get a new driver. DL the new driver and attempt to install, not compatible with WINXP.

I'm out of ideas, can anyone help?
(Just paid tuition so BUY anything is out...)

Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF try this Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You shouldn't add your CD rom drive though Add New Hardware. With the CD drive attached and powered up, boot into Setup (Bios) make sure the drive is showing up there. If not readjust the Jumper pin or IDE cable. If it is not showing up, then the drive may have failed. If the drive is showing up there, then boot into Safe Mode and see if it shows up there. If so, then try Joeten's suggestion.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

Well, something's fishy. Yesturday I couldn't get the pc to recognize that the drive was there, and today when logging in it shows right up; I don't get it...

I followed the link that was posted and followed the directions, deleted the upper filters but the lower filters entry wasn't there... After searching for what seemed like an hour I had to give up and go to class, so I'm not entirely sure if that fixed it or if someone in my house knows more than they're letting on...

but thanks for the help ladies and gents.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if it re occurs try a new ide cable