Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

portable hard drive re-format???

This is a discussion on portable hard drive re-format??? within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Before i start I'd like to warn you i know pretty much nothing about computers so be nice lol. Ive

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Before i start I'd like to warn you i know pretty much nothing about computers so be nice lol. Ive brought a portable 40gb hard drive for use in my car, however the hard drive has been set up to work ok a NTFS?? file system. The player in my car only recognises FAT32 or FAT16 file system??? (means nothing to me).

is there a way of converting ym hard drive to the FAT file system? without spending money is possible??

any help is much appreciated people.

cheers,

Dave

Old 01-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

hi dave
just plug your hard drive into your pc.goto my comp then right click on your removable drive then click format. it llwi then ask you to format ntfs or fat 32 choose fat 32.makesure you right click on your removable drive then format.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've tried that but when i get to the format part i can only choose NTFS, there are no other options there for FAT. any other ideas??
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

hi
what size of drive is it ie is it a labtop drive or or a desktop drive.If its desktop take out your hard drive from your pc and put in the external drive make sure you have it as master. Then put windows disk let it load then it will ask you to format ie ntfs or fat 32 and choose fat 32.is your pc with xp if so should work.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

its a laptop drive does that mean i cant do that?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

hi dave
you can put it in a labtop mate and do the same thing.it wont do anything to labtop as all drivers and info is still on original drive would only take 5 mins if you have a labtop.dont be detered it is quite easy and im here to help.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Plug the device into a PC running windows, preferably XP.
2. Note the drive letter assigned to it by windows.
3. Right-Click "My Computer" and select "Manage".
4. Select "Disk Management".
5. Create the partitions you need ensure you create one as NTFS and one as FAT32.
6. Format the partitions.

All done
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi Dave,

Hope Nistleboy's reply helped solve your problem. However it's a little cumbersome. And asking someone who has no idea what NTFS and FAT mean to open up the computer and unplug/plug hard drives may not be a good idea. Not to mention that some manufacturers may void warranty if the case is opened by non-authorized person. Here's an option without involving screwdrivers.

1. Click on Start menu then Run.
2. In the Run window that pops up, type cmd in the Open field. This should bring up Command prompt, a black window.
3. Type: format x: /fs:fat32 then Enter. (x is the drive letter of the portable hard drive shown in My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista). Make sure you type the right letter to format the drive you wanted.)
4. You may then be asked the label of the drive. It's the name of the drive as shown in My Computer. Type as it appears in My Computer.
5. You will then see a warning message about all data on the drive will be lost and asked for confirmation. Type y for yes then Enter.

All done. You should see the format starting with percent completed progressing. It may take a while.

If you don't see Run option in Start menu, do the following:

1. Right click Start menu, then Properties.
2. On the Start Menu tab, click on Customize button.
3. Click on Advanced tab, and in the Start menu items: section, scroll down to the Run command option and check the box.
4. Click on OK to close all windows.

Click on Start menu now, and you should see the Run command.

Good luck.