Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

PNY attache flash drive not reconginized.

This is a discussion on PNY attache flash drive not reconginized. within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 2 Gig secure attache flash drive which I been using for couple of years to store important

Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 2 Gig secure attache flash drive which I been using for couple of years to store important documents. Now it no longer work. Like many others, I also got the same error, device not recognized/malfunction.
Unfortunately for me, unlike other folks, my problem is not driver related - ohterwise I would only need to uninstall/reinstall usb drivers/controllers and/or remove the battery, drive on different PCs/windows, etc.

I am guessing my flashdrive is either hosed or corrupted. If only I
could get the computer to mount the drive and assign a driver letter,
I can then try disk recovery or something. I wonder if there is any software I can install and use it to access the flash drive. I called
PNY tech support but they could not help. If any one have any suggestion or know what to do, please tell me. I absolutely need the files on the drive so I am willing to pay whatever it costs and can afford.

Thank you.
Joseph

Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

With the drive plugged in, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager are there any devices with a Yellow mark, or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? if so, right click it and Uninstall it. Now remove the Flash drive and restart the computer. When the computer comes back up, plug it into the Back USB port of the computer not the front on through a Hub, as these ports are weaker. You should get a new Hardware Wizard. If so and you still don't have a drive letter for it in My Computer, go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management is your drive showing up there? If so, it may be taking up a drive letter of another device. Right click the drive and choose to Change Drive Letter or Path. If all this fails, then the drive has died and needs to be replaced. Do not put files you can't live without on a Flash drive as these devices are meant to transfer files between computers not for Data Storage.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote