Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

New Asus Laptop, DVD Drive not reading DVDs

This is a discussion on New Asus Laptop, DVD Drive not reading DVDs within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Bought this laptop a few months ago and only just trying to use the DVD drive for the first time.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Bought this laptop a few months ago and only just trying to use the DVD drive for the first time. I've tried with a few DVDs. It makes a sound like it's reading the disk but then nothing happens. Going to My Computer the DVD drive icon doesn't show any indication that there's a disk in it. I can right click on the icon an eject the drive but nothing else. If I double click on the icon with a disk inserted the drive ejects and I get a prompt to insert a disk. When I do that it takes ages loading (the green bar on the top of the window moves from left to right) then crashes.

I've tried a few troubleshooting methods I found via similar threads on this forum. Have run the auto fix program on the Microsoft website, have tried installing the drive and rebooting and updating the drivers through device manager. Have tried going to Control Panel, troubleshooting then configure a device. Still not working at all.

The next step looks to be to delete registry entries. That section on the Microsoft website says that those instructions are only valid for Windows Vista though and I am running Windows 7.

The laptop is still under warranty, but it would be good to be able to fix this myself and not go through the hassle of sending it off to be repaired.

Any help appreciated :)

Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Going to My Computer the DVD drive icon doesn't show any indication that there's a disk in it.....The next step looks to be to delete registry entries.
Is this a commercial DVD Movie or Software disc? or is it a blank or burned DVD? If All DVD's don't work, especially commercial discs, Then Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc right click the devmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager is there a yellow flag next to the DVD Drive? if not, then running this Microsoft FixIt which deletes the Upper and Lower filters in the Registry, or manually doing it, probably won't help you. You can try this Microsoft FixIt but if that fails the drive will need to be replaced. Since it is under warranty, just send it back.

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response.

It's Football Manager 2013, and I've tried a few movie Dvd's too.

Device manager run as admin shows no problems.

I ran the fix you suggested and it came back with the following problem (With the Footy Manager Disk in the drive):

"Media in CD/DVD Drive is not readable"
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Just remembered that I did create recovery disks when I first got the laptop, so the drive must have been working then.

Should I try running the recovery disks?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

And the drive is reading the recovery DVD's fine. So maybe the problem is an easy fix?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, it is a very easy fix. The disc you are trying to read is unreadable. Try it on another computer with a DVD drive, if that fails, and all other DVD's work on this computers DVD drive, then it is the disc.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

It's definitely not the disk that is at fault, I just tried it in a difference computer and it works fine.

I tried to remove the upper and lower filters with Imgburn. It says that there are no filters found.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I tried to remove the upper and lower filters with Imgburn. It says that there are no filters found
IMGBurn is a CD/DVD Image burning software?? It would not be able to remove the Upper and Lower Filters. If you have run the first Microsoft FixIt, it will have already removed the filters.
If the drive doesn't read most discs, the drives laser is failing and the drive needs to be replaced.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

If the laptop is only a few months old it should still be under warranty.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote