Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

My computer doesn't read CDs anymore

This is a discussion on My computer doesn't read CDs anymore within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, maybe not anymore but, most of the time, I'll open the CD Drive, place a disk in, close the

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Okay, maybe not anymore but, most of the time, I'll open the CD Drive, place a disk in, close the Drive, and autoplay won't work. I'll go into My Computer and click on the D drive there to get the disk working, but often times it doesn't work or in My Computer, it doesn't see the CD, it'll simply say Drive D. Even if I click on the D drive, it'll take me to a blank page.

The CD Drive is a Sony CD-RW CRX216E. I'm currently looking up Drivers, but it's not very popular.

I also looked in the Device Manager, and in Properties and what not . . . it says the Device is running properly, there are no problems with the device . . . etc.

Any help? What should I do? Need more info? =P

Old 06-18-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

does it read sony cds? if not it should be a drivers problem. try to reinstall drivers.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your cd burning software.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

I tried uninstalling, but that doesn't seem to be working. The CDs are actually game CDs, like a few Star Wars games that I play. They've been working up untill now. The CD isn't scratched, so it's kind of weird for the CD Drive not to be able to read this normal game CD all of a sudden. Not just this CD, but practically all sorts of CDs, even the Windows XP CD. I'm trying to avoid having to buy new hardware, but having losing my patience a few times, I might just about do so.

Uninstalling the drivers doesn't seem to work. . . and I don't think I have any Sony CDs . . . I've seen a few topics before about the CRX216E not being able to read CDs, but they didn't help as much because they led to different answers.

Even Sony's or Dell's website does not have drivers for this model, nor does it list the actual CRX216E model. Am I stuck?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

How old is this drive?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

It's as old as I got this computer, so I'd say less than a year.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've talked it over with a few people and it's believed this problem is a cache? cashe? casche? problem. Unless someone has discovered new information, I'm probably going to replace the Drive tomorrow. I've also been told Sony and Dell don't work well together.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Is this the only cd/dvd drive in the system?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

Yes. I was wondering why everyone's calling this a burner. I can't burn CDs with only one Drive.

Sorry about the other post, I was so sure it was the drivers. I'll check this post tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana Dragon
Yes. I was wondering why everyone's calling this a burner. I can't burn CDs with only one Drive.

i burn cd's with only one drive....

who told you that you couldn't?

TSF is funded by our Admin's pocket, care to help?
Power Tip: Subscribe to your thread (Thread Tools) to receive an instant email notification when you get a reply.
New Members: Creating a single new thread in the correct section is the best way to assure your thread will receive a reply.
</signature>
Old 06-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Huh . . . cool. Oh. I'm not using my noggin tonight. I don't normally burn music to CDs, I burn backup CDs.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:07 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

what i meant was, any type of cd burning can be accomplished with a single drive.

even backup cd's, and even "copies"

Power Tip: Subscribe to your thread (Thread Tools) to receive an instant email notification when you get a reply.
New Members: Creating a single new thread in the correct section is the best way to assure your thread will receive a reply.
</signature>
Old 06-19-2005, 04:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Red Faced

Hi,
I just found this site tonight. I am having the same problem, nothing is being read. The computer doesn't acknowledge that the CD is even in place. I have an emachine 2002, with XP Home Ed. SP2. My CD-ROM is a Samsung SC-148. I don't know if that helps at all. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. One favor please, I am not computer savy so I don't know all the fancy terms, etc......even reading the posts here about drives was a bit confusiong.I rarely used the CD-ROM so i can't relate it's malfunctioning to any specific event. Thanks for listening!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
Registered Member

I'm thinking about replacing it. I'll check later tonight.

Quote:
I am not computer savy so I don't know all the fancy terms
NoClue, do you know what Drivers are? They're like updates to make your hardware work more in harmony with your computer. You have to download and install Drivers, but if you don't feel comfortable about that, maybe wait for a more professional reply

Be careful! I've been warned . . .
Old 06-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #15
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

noclue, if you are asking for help, we would prefer you started a new thread about it, because if we are working on two problems in the same thread, it gets confusing.

and, i might add, that to run a typical cd-rom requires no drivers.

if the machine doesn't see it at all, something is either wrong with the drive itself, or the cables, or the cable settings.

or, the bios hasn't been told to look for it.

</signature>
Old 06-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #16
Registered Member

Whoa. I'm not computer savy either

Bios?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #17
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

B.I.O.S. <---linky

but, it's the thing you hit delete to enter while the computer is booting.

it lets you explain to the computer what it is, and what it can do, and what is attached to it.

</signature>
Old 06-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #18
Registered Member

Oh, now I remember. I kinda got confused about it, because it gave me a list, like an order (1. 2. 3.) but that was it. Man this is really confusing . . . if I were to replace it, would my problem be solved, for sure? I'm am so not a hardware kind of guy.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #19
Registered Member

Hi,
This is NoClue. First I apologize for not knowing to start a new thread. I kinda just latched on to the first thing that sounded like what i was experiencing. Second thanks for the info that both of you provided, and for keeping it simple. I think I got it all except for the "bios"..I'm still a little dim on that. In the meantime I at least have other things to check like the cables, etc. I appreciate the input. :)
Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 AM   #20
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

in the first page of the bios, there is usually an option to set the drives that are attached.

setting these to auto works the best.

if you set them to what they are, then it may speed the boot time, but only slightly.

normally i just leave them on auto to aviod future problems.

</signature>
Closed Thread