Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

Jumpy sound and video

This is a discussion on Jumpy sound and video within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I installed a new Lite-on DVDRW drive in my computer and for the first few days it worked fine. Now

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

I installed a new Lite-on DVDRW drive in my computer and for the first few days it worked fine. Now it won't finish burning and my video and audio is a little distorted and jumpy. This happens when I put in a disk and when I try to play DVD back up files from my computer. These DVD backup files played and burned just fine a few days ago. I have cleaned it, defraged, cleaned up the temporary files and installed an updated driver, but the problem perisist.
I have a dell with 512 ram, 2.7 Gig processor with an integrated sound and video card. Up until this point it has worked just fine, the problem started suddenly and I have no idea why. The computer is even running slower than normal.

Michael

Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried reinstalling your chipset driver...rebooting and then reinstalling your audio driver again??

Old 04-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, however I think I may try it once more.
To add another twist to this issue, I installed a few other DVD player programs (power DVD and nero showtime) and now I can play DVD's just fine, Showtime will even play the backup files off of my hard drive without problems. If I use itunes my music plays fine. I tied to uninstalled WMP but I can't seem to get rid of it. I still have not figured out why any burn I try will not complete, I use it doesn't matter what program I use, they all fail. I have checked and rechecked every setting on my burner and every setting I know to look for in Windows. I am stumped.

Michael
Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Have you tried updating the "firmware" of your new drive...go to the manufacturers website to get the latest version
Old 04-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything, turned off any service/program that could be eating memory/processor speed. I have updated every driver and the firmware, still I can't get more than 10% of a DVD to burn. If I drag and drop data files to the DVDRW it will burn them to CDR, but DVD's just don't work. I have used 1 click DVD and Nero both with smart burn and still it doesn't work. I installed a second DVD/CDR drive and used nero to try a direct drive to drive burn, hoping that maybe bypassing the write to the hard drive would help, it still fails. Now I even get the occassional can't "read" memory , click ok to terminate program error. The stupid thing will play DVD's and music just fine as long as I don't use WMP. It seems to be burning everything else just fine, but it does not like the DVD's. I have even bought 2 different brands of DVR disk and neither works. I can't burn DVD's from the hard drive files (I can burn to the HD but not from), I can't burn from DVD/cdr drive to DVDRW drive. Yet this thing was working perfectly up until Saturday.

I don't know what else to do short of a complete reformat and reinstall, which I want to do as a last resort. I've always been able to solve issues like this with simple driver updates, but I can't figure this one out...

Michael
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Post your mobo details please..

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Under "mainboard"

So it only happens through wmp?

It may or may not help-give it a go..

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

Any yellow marks in device manager?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks, I am going to download both of them and give them a try.

Here is the motherboard and other info according to Aida32, (this was before I installed the second DVD/CDR drive so it does not show.)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E, 2800 MHz (5.25 x 533)
Motherboard Name Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 3000
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G(V)
System Memory 509 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (01/05/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Display:
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Monitor Toshiba DP566M, Equium (7052713382)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller

Storage:
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW LH-16W1P

As far as I know I have the most up to date drivers and firmware for everything in my computer, including the BIOS. I uninstalled all of them that I could, got on line and found the absolute newest versions each manufacturer had available on their sites. I even went to a few tech/driver sites and checked just to make sure they didn't have versions newer than what I had downloaded.

The playback problems only happen in WMP, DVD's and the DVD files play fine in Nero Showtime and Power DVD. Music plays fine in Nero and itunes. FYI, I even tried upgrading to WMP 11. The DVD burning problems happen no matter which program I use.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Or this one..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en