Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

Issues installing SATA DVD-ROM Drive

This is a discussion on Issues installing SATA DVD-ROM Drive within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First of all, hello everyone, this is my first post and the reason I shall explain further >.< I'm running

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

First of all, hello everyone, this is my first post and the reason I shall explain further >.<

I'm running on an Athlon 64 3500+ Processor with 3 gb of ram, WinXP SP2.

I'm having a problem switching my burnt out IDE cd drive with a SATA HP DVD-ROM drive (dvd1070i model).
I swapped out the hardware and when I booted up my computer I got a BAD_POOL_HEADER starting up windows and could not continue.
Let me say that my hard drive is connected via SATA already so I know my computer should have the appropriate driver, however I didn't build this computer and its been a long time so I'm not too familiar with SATA set ups.

I checked the BIOS for all the SATA settings and only one I found was a SATA RAID ROM "Enabled" option, I'm not sure if I'm missing something in terms of a completely different word or acronym that I don't know of, but that was the only setting I could find regarding this issue.

My computer works fine as long as I don't try to turn it on with the SATA DVD drive plugged in. Unfortunately, I kinda need a cd drive.

What would cause a computer, already running windows on a SATA HD, to not start up properly after plugging in a second SATA device?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Mentor Emeritus, Microsoft Support

OS: Windows XP Home & Pro. Sp3 / both compleatly updated

My System

Send a message via MSN to mike2020learnin

Hello & welcome to TSF,

go back into the BIOS and disable the SATA Raid Rom / this is trying to set your system up as a raid set up

the only reason that you need that turned on is if you have more then 2 SATA harddrives

now while in the bios set your harddrive to be the first loading device in the boot order & the cd rom as the 2nd

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows 98/ ME / NT 4.0 / 2000

Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'll give that a shot, thanks thats probably what the problem is.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Disabling Sata RAID rom enabled me to see my SATA drive settings but I still get a BAD_POOL_HEADER... Do I need to change any SATA settings for the DVD Drive or can they stay on auto? Also, do I need to disable any IDE settings because I'm not using any IDE drives anymore?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #5

My System

Hello,

you should be able to leave the dvd drive set to auto

now you can disable the IED but it shouldnt really make a difference/ but try it

i bet what you need to do is wipe the drive

here is a free program that will wipe the harddrive and set it back to zero's

http://www.killdisk.com

you will want to download the (free suite of tools) and then make a bootable cd

now go to the system that you are having issues with and start it and go into the bios and set the dvd rom to be the first boot device then place the killdisk cd into the rom

now save your bios settings as you exit / this will cause the system to reboot and load to the cd

now when the program comes up you will want to select to kill the drive to which means wipe the drive

now this will take a while but it rid the drive from all attempts of failed installs

now when this process is done (may take a while 80 gig drive takes about 45 min to an hr so it depends on the size of your harddrive ) you will need to put you Windows Cd in and then do a reboot

now your install will start to a freshly wipe drive

Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'm hesitant to wipe my HD on a whim, are you sure its a possibility? Windows loads just fine when the DVD-Rom drive is disconnected, and my HD is SATA so it shouldn't be a driver issue. Is there something I can check in windows, like some way to add the drive to my device manager before I connect it so windows knows to expect it?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #7

My System

Hello ,

sorry was miss understanding

my bust

okay now you may have to disable all the IDE functions In the Bios / you need to search around for there is quite a few of them in differnt areas

as in in for the pio mode /perfetcher / ect ..

you want your system to be set up for only sata / in the device manager it may tell a differnt story but do not worry about it

i have 2 sata hard drives that are labled as SCSI & 2 cd roms dvd burner & dvd combo that are sata & they show up as SCSI drives also

Closed Thread