Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

External Harddrive is now registering on my computer as an F: drive

This is a discussion on External Harddrive is now registering on my computer as an F: drive within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, For some reason my external hard drive is now registering on my computer as a F: drive, rather than

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

For some reason my external hard drive is now registering on my computer as a F: drive, rather than an E: drive, which it has been for the past 4 months. This is a problem because I have a programme installed on the hard drive, which my laptop accesses via the E: drive, but now it's not picking up the HD.
I have tried resetting the laptop and have tried the other USB ports, but my HD is still appearing as F: drive.
I can still access the HD for all the files I have saved on there, I just can't access the programme.
Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86, VISTA SP2 x64 & x86, Windows XP SP3

My System

Hi,
Welcome to TSF.

There is never a guarantee that external drive letters will remain constant although they usually do unless another external drive (e.g. memory stick) is inserted and is given that letter. Windows assigns the next unused (at the time) letter.

You can manually chage it.

Connect your external drive.

Go into Disk management and right click on that drive and change the letter back to E:

If that letter is not available, you should be able to determine what Windows has assigned it to.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks,

Maybe I'm being blind, but I can't find disk managment, is this properties? I tried via properties to do this but I am unable too. I also tried via devices and printers, and via my computer.
Also I tried accessing via device manager, but again there doesn't seem to be any option for me to manually access to change the drive?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Start Menu/ type disk management in the search box, it will show up as "create and format hard disk partitions".
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Moderator hardware team

My System

Disk Management is found within Computer Management :

<Windows> + <R> compmgmt.msc >>Storage >> Disk Management
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
computer wizard

here is a simple method for disc management

START/RIGHT CLICK COMPUTER/MANAGE/DISC MANAGEMENT

YOU WILL SEE YOUR HDD LISTED THERE
Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for your help guys, I managed to find the right programme in the end. All has now been resolved!