Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

External Hard Disk Not Detected in My Computer and in Disk Management

This is a discussion on External Hard Disk Not Detected in My Computer and in Disk Management within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a problem regarding my external Toshiba hard disk 500 GB where it canít be detected in my computer and also disk management. I have formatted the external HD since I was asked to format it when an error popped up.
So I formatted it and after the formatting completed, I tried to connect the hard disk to my Windows Win 7 laptop. When I connect it to the laptop, it canít be detected and yet the hard disk is blinking with its white light like it used to when it is connected to the laptop. I tried the disk management thingy, but it canít detect my hard disk. i tried in other laptops but the result is same
What can I do to make it better? Please help me........................!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My Toshiba external 500GB ended up the scrap bin last month with exactly the same symptoms as yours. I couldn't test it because Windows diagnostic software couldn't detect it either (not surprisingly, since Windows couldn't).

Because I'm aware that external hard drives are considerably less reliable than internal ones, I have for several years backed up my data to four separate drives, so even if two should fail together I don't lose any data.

I'm afraid I cannot give you any good news about your drive. Most times it's actually the USB adapter board inside the enclosure that fails, not the drive itself. Extracting the drive and putting it into a third-party enclosure is the usual fix when that happens, except the Toshiba external drives have a proprietary interface - it's not the regular PATA or SATA interface (or at least mine wasn't). That means it can't be used in a different enclosure.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

As Pip said, your only hope will be to remove the drive from the enclosure. You may luck out and the drive will have a normal interface (SATA, IDE) then you can either attach it Internally to a Desktop PC, Via a USB Adapter, or put it inside another USB enclosure with a power adapter.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread