Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

External Hard disk dropped. produces clicking noise. not working. warranty void?

This is a discussion on External Hard disk dropped. produces clicking noise. not working. warranty void? within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I purchased 1 tb external WD hard drive 4 months back. Today, I dropped it accidentally from my table. Now

Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

I purchased 1 tb external WD hard drive 4 months back.

Today, I dropped it accidentally from my table. Now it is not working. Produces clicking noise. Is it dead? The data was not important but I need a functional hard disk.

I have 3 years warranty. The manufacturers are asking to ship the hard drive and then they will mail me the replacement. Is the warranty on my hard drive void?
There are no visible damage signs from outside. Further, clicking of hard drive are now common and occur for many reason apart from physical damage.
Do I have any chance that I would get a replacement?
Please help.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

If the hard drive is clicking, it will need to be replaced. Backup your data and send the drive back to the manufacturer. They will be able to tell you if the damage is covered by the warranty.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HDD dropped and no longer working
Hi everyone, Around a week ago, I dropped my external HDD on the floor and didn't try it out afterwards, thinking nothing of it. This morning, I tried running only to hear it grind away and make all sorts of weird sounds. After panicking most of the day, I came back with a clearer head to look...
gurufabbes Hard Drive Support 1 09-21-2011 10:49 AM
Problem with seagate 1 tb external hard disk and WD external hard disk.
I had these two hard drives with me for only 5 months and it was working perfectly on my computer.. but suddenly the seagate hard disk gives an error when I plug it in the back usb port for the computer(which is a high speed one).. It says the usb device is not recognized.. I use windows 7...
luke.fernandez Hard Drive Support 7 09-11-2011 11:19 AM
HELP! I cant read my files in my external hard disk
Hey Guys, I have a Hitachi external hard disk, I have tons of extremely important files inside. It was still working fine last night until this morning. This is what happened: I plugged in the hard disk, than it is seen as Local Disk (h:). It prompts me to format the disk once I double clicked...
durhh Hard Drive Support 6 07-23-2011 01:29 PM
External Hard Disk Problem
Hey Guys I'm New Here And I'm Glad To Be here well i have a big problem with my external hard disk before 2 days my Pc got an error when i tried to start it and then i needed to make a start recover then when i log on my computer and log on my external hard disk is WD the folders with my files...
alexjames2320 Hard Drive Support 11 02-09-2011 06:57 AM