Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

Computer won't boot with USB drive plugged in

This is a discussion on Computer won't boot with USB drive plugged in within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an Intel S5000VSA server mobo running Server 2008R2. As part of backup protocol critical files are written to

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an Intel S5000VSA server mobo running Server 2008R2. As part of backup protocol critical files are written to an external USB drive (Seagate Free Agent 1TB). There are two drives that alternate in backup. If for some reason the server has to be restarted it will not reboot if the drive is plugged in. I do not see any boot option noted or listed in the BIOS for a USB device, but I'm guessing it's trying to boot from the drive. The default order to boot is 1) Hard drive (consisting of a four disk array in RAID10 configuration) then 2) DVD

It's not a critical matter, but on a few occasions it has proven to be a pain, like when I've had to reboot remotely and can't be there to unplug the USB drive.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

The typical suggestions are to verify boot order and ensure legacy USB support is enabled. With that said, there are some motherboards that simply won't boot properly with USB drives attached.

You may also want to ensure the BIOS is up to date.

Google is your Friend!
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Computer USB 3.0 Compatible
I have a 3.0 usb external drive, but only usb ports 2.0. What is the best way toincrease the hard drive performance? A PCI Express eSATA Controller Card with usb 3.0 connectors? I have a gateway desktop with: •One PCI Express ×16 •One PCI Express ×1 •Two PCI 2.3 Not sure which to use,...
jimlau Hard Drive Support 2 01-14-2011 03:37 PM
Very odd issue concerning dual boot, mbr and swapped drives.
This is kind of convoluted and I'm at a loss for what to do. Short summary: I have 3 drives, let's call them A:, B: and C: My laptop has 2 hard drive bays, I used to have A: installed plus another drive for random storage. Windows 7 was installed on A:. I swapped out the random storage...
sqbsbear Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 4 01-05-2011 01:58 PM
Extern hard drive installed internally not in My Computer
Hi guys, sorry if this general idea has been posted before but I think my situation is a little different. I have an Acomdata external hard drive ( IDE Western Digital WD WDC ROM Model- MAMMOTH is actually whats inside the enclosure) that's power cord broke. I installed it internally to my PC to...
eco23 Hard Drive Support 3 01-04-2011 05:41 AM
Computer hangs at BIOS while USB devices plugged into certain ports.
This is a really weird error, one I've spent days combing the internet to fix. I have a Dell XPS 700, 4 years old, Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX, Core2Duo 6700@2600, running Windows 7 32-bit with 4 gigs of ram installed (but only three actually usable, due to the 32-bit). (don't ask my motherboard, I...
SkyShadowing Motherboards, Bios & CPU 2 01-03-2011 07:36 AM
Dvd Drive Making Computer Restart
My Specs Advent 7109B 120 GB Hard-Drive Windows 7 Proffessional (32 bit) Intel Celeron M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz 1.50 GB Ram Dvd Drive (DVD + RW DL) = TSSTCorp Cd/DVDW TS/L632D Hi there i have been trying to solve this problem for month now. My laptop works fine without my dvd drive installed,...
mcgawn Other Hardware Support 5 01-02-2011 01:43 PM