Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

Can't format USB stick - very desperate please help!

This is a discussion on Can't format USB stick - very desperate please help! within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought a 64gb Toshiba from ebay, plugged it into my comp and it was working fine. There were no

Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I bought a 64gb Toshiba from ebay, plugged it into my comp and it was working fine. There were no files in the USB stick.

Then I stuck my USB stick in my xbox 360 and then formatted it through the xbox so I could use it save my game data from the xbox. After a while, I no longer needed it to save my xbox 360 game data so I plugged it back into my computer and deleted the xbox 360 game folder on the usb stick. This folder is invisible and was only visible to me because I enabled viewing of invisible folders through windows options.

After that, when I plug in the USB stick, windows says it only has 8mb of space and says I need to format it whenever I try to open the USB stick. Then it says windows was unable to format the USB stick, so it's 100% unusable.

When I tinker around in device manager and delete my USB drivers and let them reinstall, there is a small chance (1/10) that the usb stick will be properly detected on windows and I can access the full 64 gb. The other 9 times, the USB just asks me to format it. However, after I replug it in, it goes back to only having 8mb detected and asking me to format the USB stick.

Disk Management also fails to give me any additional options of interacting with the USB (all my actions cause the computer to ask me to format the USB)

So I think the issue has something to do with me deleting the invisible folder created by the xbox 360 format. When I plug the usb stick back into my xbox, the xbox says the USB only has 8mb on it. Same thing happens when I plug it into a mac. In every case, the usb is unusable even for the 8mb detected.

How should I go about fixing my USB stick?

As with all hardware issues, this is pretty damn frustrating. I'm sure everyone can relate =P.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Put the Flash Drive into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front or through a Hub as these ports are weaker. Go to an Elevated Disk Management window. right click the volume/partition and Delete Volume or go up to the Tool bar and click the X. This will delete the partition. Now right click the Unallocated Space and create a new simple volume. If this fails, the drive has failed and needs to be replaced.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote