Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

Can't format my usb drive

This is a discussion on Can't format my usb drive within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. when my usb drive insert the computer show "you need to format the disk in drive J: before you can

Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

when my usb drive insert the computer show "you need to format the disk in drive J: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" then when I select to format disk, it show "Windows can't format J Chek to see that the disk and drive are connected properly,make sure that the disk is not read-only,and then try again.For more information,search Help for read-only files and how to change them" How can format it? Please help me it

Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

and welcome to the Forum

Has this drive ever worked?

Have you tried it in a different pc?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

hi! same problem with me(drive h:), even tried to format using cmd by typing <format h:>, though there error's are detected in file system, but unable to repair or format. Please help me too
Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Has this drive ever worked?

Have you tried it in a different pc?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior Tech hardware team

My System

Where did you purchase the USB drive? From a store? I bought one from the street and it turned out to be one of those fake Transcend 32gb Green Sticks.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camadhushan View Post
when my usb drive insert the computer show "you need to format the disk in drive J: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" then when I select to format disk, it show "Windows can't format J Chek to see that the disk and drive are connected properly,make sure that the disk is not read-only,and then try again.For more information,search Help for read-only files and how to change them" How can format it? Please help me it
1. for trancend flash drives
*goto JetFlash Online Recovery
*download the program and run it
*Windows 7 (Administrator rights required, must turn off UAC)
*at least this worked for me after so many failures

2. for other flash drives
*goto Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd
*click on the picture to download the program and run it
*select the drive and format it
*it worked like a charm
Titas is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Location: Valrico, FL (the only city named Valrico in the US)

My System

Was 'Quick Format' checked? One of my USB devices received an error with 'Quick Format' but not without.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

With the Drive attached, go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD.exe icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In the command prompt window type chkdsk X: /R and press enter (replace X: with the actual drive letter of your flash drive) now type a Y to unmount the drive. Once Check Disk has checked the file system you can Format the drive.
Some Flash drives have a slider switch on the side to make the drive Read Only, if you have this switch make sure it is set to Write.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have the same problem. I tried all the methods (Disk part,Bootit, etc.) but all of the methods didnt show the flash drive. in disk manager it only shows "Disk 1" and when i right click it only gives me option of change disk letter, properties and help. whenever i plugin the drive it asks me to format it but then shows me the error message cant format G:

Please help
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

With the Flash Drive plugged in, go to Start/Search and type CMD and right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type Diskpart and press enter.
At the Diskpart prompt type List Disk, this will show you all of the disk drives listed by # and size on the computer, if it shows your Flash Drive, type Select Disk and type the drive # (eg) select disk 4. It should say that disk is Selected.
Now type the word Clean, this will wipe the drive, so be sure you have the right drive. after that type List Disk again, this time it should say the drive is Online and list it's size. Now go into Disk Management, the Flash Drive should be listed as Unallocated Space. Here you can right click that and choose to Create a new Simple Volume and Format it FAT 32. If this fails, the Flash Drive needs to be replaced.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have already tried that method. the problem is when i type List Disk, it doesn't show me the flash drive and second thing in disk manager it shows the disk as disk 1 but along side there is no memory allocation is there. the only options i get is change the drive letter, properties and help.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Then the Flash Drive has failed. These devices are extremely volatile and known to failure.