Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

Xbox 360 Disk Reading Problem

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 Disk Reading Problem within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I'm repairing a 360 for a friend, and what I've found from opening it was that the disc reader

Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I'm repairing a 360 for a friend, and what I've found from opening it was that the disc reader will just not move. I'll put a disk in, wait for it to load, but instead of loading normally, it will just move back and forth in a small spot making a grinding noise, but not hitting the disc. Then the "unrecognized Disc" Error will pop up. I've cleaned everything visible, dusted everything, took everything apart and there seems to be zero visible problems.

I've googled the hell out of this with not very many results. Any help would be great.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

This is happens to Xbox as they get older, just like RODD. Its a bit more rare then the RODD but it happens. It happened to me. The only thing you can do is send it into Microsoft to be repaired. Yes you have to pay but its better then going and buying a new one.

Since you decied to open it up not sure if they will even help you any more.

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The only other way out it buy the same drive that's installed in it now and swap the PCB from the old drive to the new, the serial number of the drive is recorded in the Xbox and it will only work with that number.
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
This is happens to Xbox as they get older, just like RODD. Its a bit more rare then the RODD but it happens. It happened to me. The only thing you can do is send it into Microsoft to be repaired. Yes you have to pay but its better then going and buying a new one.

Since you decied to open it up not sure if they will even help you any more.
The warranty was up anyways.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

I had this problem last year on my Xbox. I took out all the connections, memory cards, HDD, etc. Then I tapped it face first on the carpet a few times. Plugged everything back in, and it worked. From what I understand the laser can get stuck and needs a small "jolt" to set it free. I've also watched a video on youtube on how to take apart the dvd drive and readjust the laser... I'm happy I didn't have to resort to that.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Can you open the disk drive casing up and take a picture of where the laser assembly is sitting?

If it's stuck towards the back of the drive try manually moving it closer to the front.

To do his you might need to manually eject the disk drive by pushing in on the side of it. (there is a black rectangle you push in).

There is a specific spot the laser us supposed to sit and sometimes it gets stuck in the back... I have seen this happen numerous times with lite-on drives. An other possible error is that the two leads that dictate the state of the driver are not touching or are stuck touching...

I will lean more towards the first case as you actually get noise...

..Notepad++ | CoffeeCup | WAMP | GIMP | VLC | Debut | CometBird | Web Dev
Laxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

If the disc is not spinning you may have to clean the spindle. Mine was clogged up with the old grease and dust. Take it apart and clean it then regrease it. Mine works fine now.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdozer View Post
If the disc is not spinning you may have to clean the spindle. Mine was clogged up with the old grease and dust. Take it apart and clean it then regrease it. Mine works fine now.
Other then hitachi drives taking apart and spindle is a pain...

If its not spinning just buy a new one... look on the cable ribbon for the id number. Last lite-on spindle I replaced was $1.70 or so with shipping.

Note: With ben-q drives or newer lite-ons you will need a soldering iron to replace it.

..Notepad++ | CoffeeCup | WAMP | GIMP | VLC | Debut | CometBird | Web Dev
Laxer is offline   Reply With Quote