Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

[SOLVED] How Long Should You Leave Your PS3/Xbox on

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How Long Should You Leave Your PS3/Xbox on within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How long is a good time to have your PS3 on, playing games or watching movies, etc.? My PS3 has

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Question

How long is a good time to have your PS3 on, playing games or watching movies, etc.?

My PS3 has broken twice. Gotten the red blinking light and wouldn't turn on. Most people I ask say that this is caused from overheating. I don't see how my PS3 could overheat. It's in a complete open area on top of my desk. It isn't near any vents or windows.

The only problem I can think of is that I leave it on too much. I used to always leave it on for hours on end. Sometimes just 3 hours, sometimes even 8 hours in a row. Sometimes, I'd even get up and leave it on.

But ever since I've got it back the second time from Sony fixing it, I've been just using it for only one hour. I feel like I've been on it too long and I should turn it off and let it cool down. But I don't really get that much playing time with it...

-Am I being too paranoid?
-Should I just go ahead and try leaving it on for longer?
-Does anyone know what the real cause of the "YLOD" is?
-Should you take the discs out of the PS3 when it's not in use?
-Should you always turn off the switch at the back?
-Should you use a vacuum to suck out the dust?
-Should you always use a microfibre cloth to rub off the dust?
-What's the best playing time duration?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

My 360 has been left on over 24 hours at a time with it being used for much of it.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey mate, I have answered your questions below to the best of my ability. Hope this helps.

-Am I being too paranoid?
It's better to be safe then sorry mate

-Should I just go ahead and try leaving it on for longer?
It is your choice, it is always a risk but if you keep it well-ventilated and in cool room then you will lessen the chances of anything happening

-Does anyone know what the real cause of the "YLOD" is?
Sony might but I don't think anyone has any conclusive evidence yet

-Should you take the discs out of the PS3 when it's not in use?
It's recommended by the game-makers to do so but I have never encountered a problem before. The only time when I would ask you to do so is if you are moving the console. There has been cases of people moving a console and getting the disk jammed...

-Should you always turn off the switch at the back?
I don't see a need for it but it probably saves your power and risk so I would say to do it if you can.

-Should you use a vacuum to suck out the dust?
Yes and No to this question. I would use a compressed air canister to knock the dust out of place and then use the vacuum to get any dust out. Make sure the Vacuum isn't too powerful as you could potentially "yank" a component out of it's place

-Should you always use a microfibre cloth to rub off the dust?
That is generally what I use for my PC on the fans and the monitor but I am not sure for a PC. Make sure not to rub it on the motherboard though as you could end up letting off some stray ESD and damaging the console...

-What's the best playing time duration?
Now this is a tricky question. It depends on what game your playing and how ofter you play it. It is something which you have to determine for yourself

If you had an Xbox 360 then I would have said to get an Intercooler and then you wouldn't need to worry so much about overheating but I am not sure they make them for PS3s.

Perhaps it may be best to save your game and give it a 15 minutre to 1 hour break if you are gaming for long periods of time (6/7/8 hours in a row or something).

Good excuse for a snack and it helps you make sure you have not turned into a Zombie

Hope this helps,
Redeye3323

Games & Articles Team

Old 03-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Just a bit more on Redeye's response - the only real need to turn off the switch in the back is so that no more power is being used (a.k.a: "phantom drain").

There isn't any real cloth type you need to use to clean the system, only the disks.

My PS2 could be left on for a week or more constantly without a single issue, however I strongly recommend not doing this with the much more sensitive PS3, only keeping it to a max of one day.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5NIPER_WOLF View Post
Just a bit more on Redeye's response - the only real need to turn off the switch in the back is so that no more power is being used (a.k.a: "phantom drain").

There isn't any real cloth type you need to use to clean the system, only the disks.

My PS2 could be left on for a week or more constantly without a single issue, however I strongly recommend not doing this with the much more sensitive PS3, only keeping it to a max of one day.
The PS2 was a very stable console and so was the old xbox. Both makers had to sacrifise the Stability for Performance though

Better Performance -> More Power Used -> More Heat Produced -> More Problems -> More Unstable Consoles

That is the basics of it.

Anyone remember the old SNES? You could leave that on a month and it still wouldn't overheat Mind you, I can't see it running Crysis so well so that kinda backs up my theory

Thanks 5NIPER for starting this off

Games & Articles Team

Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This isn't a discussion about what consoles we remember, Red.

I believe however, you are correct about your assumption in how problems arise. It's also the way the hardware is, being a working computer with much more complex and delicate parts than the PS2 or Xbox, the newer consoles just can't hold up to the stress.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

OS: 2k8, Win 7, XP, NT, 2k3, 2k, DOS 5>6.22, Win 9x, Win 3x, Netware, HPUX 10>11.11, Solaris 10

...Serious question;

Why do y'all want to leave them on for so long? I don't understand? If you're not using it, turn it off. And if you think you're using it for too long periods then you probably are... Regarding playing time - I honestly don't think anyone should ever spend more than an hour at a time in front of a video game.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I've looked over all of your responses and I've reached my conclusion.. I guess it's just all in moderation with these newer consoles.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossva View Post
.Why do y'all want to leave them on for so long? I don't understand? If you're not using it, turn it off. And if you think you're using it for too long periods then you probably are... Regarding playing time - I honestly don't think anyone should ever spend more than an hour at a time in front of a video game.
You'd be surprised at what little you can do in one hour's playing time on an FPS, like "Call of Duty". You get hooked, and one hour just doesn't cut it most of the time. One hour feels like 1 minute in Video Game world.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafeller View Post
I've looked over all of your responses and I've reached my conclusion.. I guess it's just all in moderation with these newer consoles.
Thanks.

You'd be surprised at what little you can do in one hour's playing time on an FPS, like "Call of Duty". You get hooked, and one hour just doesn't cut it most of the time. One hour feels like 1 minute in Video Game world.
1 hour of Fallout 3= 1 building explored. there is somewhere in the region of 220 buildings in the game. So you can imagine how little you can accomplish in one hour =D

As for the OP's question. Shouldn't really be anymore then 4 hours a day. If you do get around that time and beyond, use an intercooler.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Not to nitpick, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye3323 View Post
-Should you always use a microfiber cloth to rub off the dust?
Make sure not to rub it on the motherboard though as you could end up letting off some stray ESD and damaging the console...
He should never touch the motherboard.

I know I shouldn't but its been soooooooooo long since Ive been here.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #11
-Articles Team
-Games Team

My System

I totally agree with you that 1 hour of Gameplay isn't too long with some games, whilst in others it can be.

It depends on how good the storyline is. Some games can be completed in 6ish hours, some games like Mass Effect take 20/25 hours plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataulin View Post
Not to nitpick, but:

He should never touch the motherboard.

I know I shouldn't but its been soooooooooo long since Ive been here.
Which is why I said NOT to...

Don't mean to be mean but I don't see a problem with what I said. I basically told him to only touch the fans and the casing...

Games & Articles Team

Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Registered Member

I know its just the way your worded it. Made it sound as it it were safe to open the unit and clean the insides. PC yes, PS3 no.

oh god I sound like the corporations.