Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

PS3 XMB text stretched and blurred?

This is a discussion on PS3 XMB text stretched and blurred? within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, not sure where else to post t his... Recently (well the last few months) my PS3 dashboard text will

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, not sure where else to post t his...

Recently (well the last few months) my PS3 dashboard text will be perfectly fine and readable (clear) when started up, but shortly after starting a game, or switching from say Videos to Games to Photos, etc. (and by that I mean scrolling left and right on the dashboard not actually needing to do anything with them) the text will become unreadable and glitches. Stretching out to the right it seems. In Game graphics and text (from the game itself) are perfectly fine, as are movies, but for example pop up trophy windows, or if you hit the PS home button on the controller anything to do with the dashboard (or xmb?) is stretched and unreadable. The picture icons for things however are fine. So just to paint the mental picture the white text, that usually labels what the demos are, the titles for the menus below the picture icons and the text on the upper right (not the faint scrolling text behind it but what appears to be the UI overlay) is what screws up. Images, games, videos, and in game text are unaffected.

I've googled and googled and yahooed and youtubed, but I cannot find anyone answering this problem. I can take a picture if needed.

So, has anyone encountered this problem, and if so what can I do about it? I hope I don't have to just bite the bullet and eventually buy a new PS3?

For model clarification it's the original backwards compatible version of the playstation3. I've put off getting any other versions because I like being able to toss my old PS2 games in every now and then.

If it helps, it seems to do this regardless of the display I plug it into (HDMI LG TV/Computer monitor or an old Sony 1080i TV with HDMI as well.. but I'm getting a brand new plasma come this week and I'd like to kind of fix out any annoyances so I can truly enjoy it).

As you can see (sorry for the bad photo, but I assure you the XMB text is as it appears and isn't a bad product of a photograph) the text from a game (behind it) is perfectly fine, but the pop up display, and indeed everything on the PS3 dashboard is stretched like this.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2chp2c3.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2iqips2.jpg

It doesn't happen immediately but only a few minutes after boot up.

Now that it's clear I'm playing through HDMI and it happens on two sets of monitors that it must be something within the PS3. Would returning to factory settings work, or does anyone know if this is a byproduct of something else? (If it was a dying graphics card for example, why don't I have problems in games, and movies? This is strictly localized to anything relating the PS3 dashboard it seems).

I once thought it could be a product of overheating but I had kept the console completely off for the entire day only to turn it on and have it happen within minutes again.

it's not a terribly horrible problem. After "quitting" a game, and it "resets" the video connection for a few moments it fixes itself and that text never spills over into in game graphics etc so the games themselves are unaffected. It's simply anything related to the XMB or dashboard.

I'm sorry I repeated myself a few times here, but every other place I post this seems to get confused and assume I'm using some AV or component cable.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to hasseli

Hey,

try to reset to default settings. If it doesn't help, try formating your system.

Remember to take game saves to USB-flash drive (for example) and synchronize your trophies, so you won't miss them either.

Please post back with results.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, so I went to try to go do this, but I can't figure out which ones are which to back it up with with the blurred text. So ultimately I'm not sure where to go, how many times to go up up down down left right, etc etc. To both back up things, and reformat, or whatever.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah, after trying for twenty minutes, the only way to get clear text is to load a demo, quit out, and by the time I get to the system menu it blurs up and I can't read it =/ I have no idea what to do here. Kinda bummed since I got a new TV to use with it since this is my blu-ray player too.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

Well this is fun. I found a guide to reach a service menu thing, where you can reformat your PS3 from. I assumed the entire process would be through that, and it wouldn't go back to XMB crap. So now it's on the first step of reformatting a PS3 (so I can't use it at ALL) and all I get are the blurry XMB texts again that I can't read. So I just lost my bluray player and PS3 unless someone knows of a step by step guide on which option is which =/
Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

I apologize for another post. Well, I managed to poke my way through blindly to reformat. Oddly enough the problem is still here. Nothing else I can do I imagine. Gamestop won't accept it either since it's considered "defective" so I can't cash it in for credit towards something else. It's one of the old 80gb backwards compatible fat 4 usb port models. I guess it's lasted a long time.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Hey,

be sure your PS3 is off. Then hold the power button until you hear 3 beeps. Then you should get new screen, and select
4. Rebuild database
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

I tried that first, and it didn't work. So I then fumbled my way through a format that i sat 3 1/2 hours through. It kind of temporarily fixed it, but it flips back often to the blurred text.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

It sounds like its motherboard problem.

But if you have any extra HDD (2,5" SATA) you could try another HDD. It might be HDD problem, but after all I doubt its motherboard. If you live in Europe (I'm not sure about other areas) you can send your system back to SCEE (Europe Sony) they will fix it for free, even if your warranty from the store is over. You should contact your country's Sony support and ask them how to manage.

Hope I helped.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey mate,

Since you mentioned Gamestop, I can assume that you live in America.

Here is the U.S.'s support website for PlayStation, it might help you.

http://us.playstation.com/support/

Thanks,
Redeye

Games & Articles Team

Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Registered Member

thanks for the responses guys!

yeah, i live in america. i've checked the us support link, but since it's one of the original discontinued models they don't really support it anymore. that and i can't find anyone else who has encountered the same problem.

after managing to fumble my way through a reformat i at least got video gaming to work, even if i lost my slightly tweaked bluray settings. i can stick it out until next month when i can afford to buy a new one.

still, it is a bummer it died like that. my brand new G25 plasma comes on Wed.