Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

Ps3 freezing

This is a discussion on Ps3 freezing within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well whenever im playing it would freeze from like 5-30 min of gameplay. My ps3 also sometimes wouldn't turn on,

Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Well whenever im playing it would freeze from like 5-30 min of gameplay. My ps3 also sometimes wouldn't turn on, the lights at the front of the ps3 light up as they always do but it wont show anything up on my screen it would just be black. Whenever my ps3 freezes i can still see the screen and everything that i was doing but i cant move anything with my controller it basically just freezes. On the back where it says digital out (optical) it shows a red glow from inside dont know if thats worth mentioning but meh. I have had the ps3 for about 2 months but i baught it off the internet and it was used so i dont know how old it really is. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Resident Pirate

My System

Hi Stain. Welcome to TSF.

Freezing is usually related to overheated components. If the PS well ventilated?

Jack.Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

mine does the same thing
Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Resident Pirate

My System

Hi Mariandvd, Welcome to TSF.

Is it well ventilated?
Does it freeze at the same time always?
Did you drop it sometime?
Have you tried resetting it, in case an update wasn't installed properly?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64

My System

The latest PS3 update 2.35 has fixed some game titles from freezing so i would suggest you get it.
Aus_Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Any game I try on my PS3 freezes after 10 minutes or so. It is in a well ventilated area, has never been dropped and has the very latest updates. Also sometimes the ps3 doesn't recognise the disc at all, but this happens only immediately after I reset after the initial crash and fixes if I leave it turned off for a while.

Does anyone here know how the long warranty lasts? I have had my PS3 for 14 months now.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
Resident Pirate

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF.

The warranty lasts for 12 months.

Trying signing out of PSN before playing the games as this causes some of the crashing.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Sparrow View Post
Hi, welcome to TSF.

The warranty lasts for 12 months.

Typical, its like it knows.

Quote:
Trying signing out of PSN before playing the games as this causes some of the crashing.
My PS3 wasn't online until after the problems started (I thought it might be the game and so went online for a patch) and I keep it signed off now anyway because it was crashing my router. Thanks for the attempt anyway, any other ideas?
Old 10-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
Resident Pirate

My System

I heard of a few cases were the disk drive 'dies'. So eventually nothing will be read by the system. Might be what's going on here.

Either way, only suggestion I have is to contact Sony. It will cost you though, to get it repaired.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

OK then, i'll do that today.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

try just resetting the ps3... aka pull all the cords (Except the power) and hold down the power button till you hear a weird beep
Old 10-20-2008, 02:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

I tried that and nothing, so I rang sony today and they are sending me a replacement in a few days. :)

Thanks for the help Jack.Sparrow and Log2
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Resident Pirate

My System

You're welcome :)
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Registered Member

My PS3 keeps freezing during game play. about 10-20 mins into playing the game it will freeze. But, i can use my ps3 to surf the web as long as i want. Do anyone have nay ideas what could be the problem?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfall13 View Post
My PS3 keeps freezing during game play. about 10-20 mins into playing the game it will freeze. But, i can use my ps3 to surf the web as long as i want. Do anyone have nay ideas what could be the problem?

Yes the blu ray drive is going bad.

I know a lot of ways to fix ps3's, but the only way I know to fix the overheating issues is using a special machine which Sony would fix it cheaper then buying the machine needed.

If the ps3 freezes at the wavy lines before you see the interface just hold the power button down until you hear 1 beep followed by 2 beeps, and let go. That resets it, and then rebuild the hard drive which should fix that.

I've fixed about 10 ps3's already in the passed.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Registered Member

I just bought the ps3 last night, and everything was going great, put on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Wolverine Origins, switched it off for an hour or so and put it back on and played a bit of MUA when suddenly it froze I tried turning the power off but the power button wouldn't respond either.... When I switched it off via the cord it came back without recognizing the discs I did do a system restore, thereby wiping out all my saves in the process, let it sit and it played again, but then it froze 30 minutes into the game play...

this is BRAND NEW, what the hell?

cost 300 dollars to have disc reading issues the first night?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

I don't know about everyone else, but when I buy a brand new electronic product, I expect it to work, even if it doesn't have absolutely the latest operating system installed. I understand that they can't upgrade products that have already shipped. But they shouldn't ship products that crash and have major features not working. Ever.

I bought a PS3, brought it home, and set it up. It froze up after about 10 minutes every time I tried to use it. In a cool room. No cabinet around it. It was not an overheating issue. Is there a software update available? Doesn't matter because it couldn't find my wifi no matter what I did. Took it back, got a 2nd system. Same exact behavior. Took it back. The 3rd system actually performed the same way as the first two: freezing up, no wifi detection. The latter problem meant I couldn't upgrade without moving either my router or a big tv. And the instructions online for upgrading (assuming that's the problem)? Need a PC. I'm on a Mac. I finally took a USB HD, formatted it (using my Mac) for MS-DOS, downloaded upgrade, moved it to HD, hooked it to PS3, and prayed it could read it. It did. 30 minutes later, the system was working and it flawlessly uses Wifi.

I still give HUGE negative points to Sony for this. Sony: inform your retail partners there's a problem and how to solve it (ever heard of a service bulletin?). Pull back and upgrade products that don't work. Put SOMETHING in the box that says what to do if there's a problem. And give people a phone number.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdfanboy View Post
Yes the blu ray drive is going bad.

I know a lot of ways to fix ps3's, but the only way I know to fix the overheating issues is using a special machine which Sony would fix it cheaper then buying the machine needed.

If the ps3 freezes at the wavy lines before you see the interface just hold the power button down until you hear 1 beep followed by 2 beeps, and let go. That resets it, and then rebuild the hard drive which should fix that.

I've fixed about 10 ps3's already in the passed.
I have that problem how do i fix it?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #19
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey mate, try this bit of what he said

"If the ps3 freezes at the wavy lines before you see the interface just hold the power button down until you hear 1 beep followed by 2 beeps, and let go. That resets it, and then rebuild the hard drive which should fix that."

Make sure you backup your files if you can just in case.

Cheers,
Redeye3323

Games & Articles Team

Redeye3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #20
Registered Member

hi im having the same sort of problem I recently bought Call of duty Black Ops and put it my disc tray it said error reading disc and gave me this error code 80010514 but all my other games like mw2 still work perfectly and i have rebuilt the database, ive done the file recovery thing but also if i leave the playstation off for like 30 mins to an hour black ops works for about 10-20 mins then freezes again and i cant get back onto it after restarting the ps3!!

can anyone help with this problem please?