Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

PS3 Choppy Video Stream

This is a discussion on PS3 Choppy Video Stream within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I picked up a PS3 yesterday to use for Blu Ray, DVD, Netflix, Games, and also streaming my media

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to MattD313

So I picked up a PS3 yesterday to use for Blu Ray, DVD, Netflix, Games, and also streaming my media from my media server.

I have hundreds of my DVD's ripped and encoded to m4v (mp4) files. I encoded it this way to stream to the Apple TV in the bedroom (which works flawlessly)

The server is a Vista machine, plenty of power for the task at hand and is connected by a 54mbps Belkin USB adapter. The PS3 is connected wirelessly and running a speed test is got around 4.5mbps, so the connection seems efficient.

I've tried using TVersity as the media server to stream. Tried changing all sorts of settings and can't resolve the choppy playback on the PS3. This afternoon I tried PMS (Playstation Media Server) and I got the same results. I didn't tinker with PMS a lot yet.

All of these files play flawlessly on the Apple TV which is further away to the router than the PS3, which is yet another reason I'm not quite convinced it is a connectivity issue.

I really don't have a clue how to get these files playing smoothly.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening? I've been googling my butt off but haven't found the answer just yet.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to MattD313

Last night I tried several things with no luck.
Lastly I moved the ps3 closer to the router and plugged it in.
Worked well.

Sooo, it looks like I'll be running a wire from the office all the way back to the living room. Ugh. At least it works.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64

My System

I use TwonkyMedia which runs on my QNAP system. It can also be installed on a PC system with XP or Vista (32-bit only)
http://www.twonkymedia.com/
Hit the Buy button at the top and get the trial version to see if it works. Many Media servers apps like Tversity (i think) use a type of WMP11 codec which doesn't sit well with a PS3.

TwonkyMedia has UPnP capabilities and will automatically appear on your PS3 under Video as "Media Server". Just make sure under the Twonky GUI you select the locations of your Videos.
Closed Thread