Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

cannot get headset to work with PS3

This is a discussion on cannot get headset to work with PS3 within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. as the title stated, my headset does not work. basic info: -connection type is NAT 2 -2 different logitech headsets

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

as the title stated, my headset does not work.

basic info:

-connection type is NAT 2
-2 different logitech headsets
-wireless connection
-linksys router
-can hear people through TV when headset is NOT plugged in
-cannot hear anything, be it through TV or headset when it IS plugged in
-PS3 reads headset on the accessory settings menu
-input and output devices set to "logitech USB headset"
-my volume on the headset is all the way up
-when i talk the chat indicator lights up, however i cannot hear others unless the headset is not plugged in

at this point im pretty much thinking that either:
A. both logitech headsets are broken
or
B. i need to get a new router or use a wired connection

this has been a problem for me for quite some time. i am getting a blue tooth headset soon, so when i do that i can see for sure if it is my router or my headsets. plus, my router has been acting up as of late, however i just purchased this router back in May, so i dont know why it would crap out like this.

thanks in advance.

also, my linksys router is a wireless-G, 2.4 GHz, model no. WRT54G V8

Old 07-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

I'm not too familiar with PS3s but is NAT 2 moderate, open or closed?
Have you tried plugging one of the headsets into another controller or using them at someone elses house/PS3? Can you send messages? Can people hear you, because apparently your chat indicator says so.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

people probably can hear me, but it doesnt matter because as long as my headset is plugged in, i cannot hear them. the PS3 headsets dont plug into the controller, but plug into one of the USB ports - and i have tried using different ports. and i dont know where it says if NAT 2 is open or closed (if it even does on the PS3).
Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

is it possible that there are child restrictions preventing you? Stupid idea i know, but it's worth a try i guess. Though i suggest that you try using your headphones on someone elses PS3.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

well there are no child restrictions set up on the PS3, so unless the router comes pre-set with child restrictions activated, thats a negative.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

The best thing to do is highlight the problem. You have to check to see if your mic is working by trying it on another network/PS3. Alternatively, you could borrow a friends working mic and check to see if that works on your network/PS3. If your mic works on someone elses network/PS3 then you know that its your network/PS3 that is playing up. However, if your mic doesn't work on theirs then it is your mic which has a problem. However, I think it is best to assume that it is your network or PS3 that has the problem since neither of your two mics work. What router do you have?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Linksys router
wireless-G
2.4 GHz
model no. WRT54G V8

im pretty sure it's my router. do you think it is defective or if it is just the model type?
what router would you recommend?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Well I haven't heard about any problems with PS3 and the WRT54G V8 model. I think that it could be a NAT problem. I'm not too familiar with networks so i'll try to get a network mod to check this thread. It would be best to try some suggested methods out before thinking about replacing your router.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

could it have anything to do with the fact that on my internet settings for my PS3 it says that UPnP is "unavailable"?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yeah most likely. UPnP is universal plug and play or something. It's stopping your PS3 from fully communicating to other people. For example, I think NAT 3 can only communicate with NAT 1. NAT 2 can communicate with NAT 2 and NAT 1. NAT 1 can communicate with NAT 2 and NAT 3. I think the minimum requirements for online play is NAT 2. UPnP allows for a NAT 1. However, i'm not sure if this is entirely true as I have an Xbox 360 and NAT1= Open, NAT= Moderate and NAT3= Closed. I'm just hoping the same applies. This means you may have to open some ports on your router or enable UPnP.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

well i enabled it but it comes up as "unavailable", so what ports do i open?

also, last night i tried setting output to the TV and left my mic in one more time. that actually worked. so now at least it is partially fixed.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The advice is correct, enable uPnP in the router configuration.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

im having the same problem, i enabled UPnP on my router and PS3 and my headset still won't work. I have a 2Wire Gateway router