Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Security and Firewalls

[SOLVED] How to configure router firewall to stop websites

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How to configure router firewall to stop websites within the Security and Firewalls forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am new to firewalls and I am trying to make mine block specific websites but so far have had

Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am new to firewalls and I am trying to make mine block specific websites but so far have had no success. Here are the settings I am using in the router's admin area:

Security > Firewall > General

Active firewall

Security > Firewall > Rules

Active
Packet Direction: WAN to LAN
Action for Matched Packets: Drop
Source Address: 92.123.149.15 (IP address of website I want to stop)
Destination Address: any
Services: Any(UDP), Any(TCP)
Schedule: all day, everyday

I apply the settings, but I can still go to the website on any computer on the network.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Moderator hardware team

My System

This config will stop the specific website from accessing your network, but will not stop your network from accessing the site.

swap source and destination addresses - ie source should be your network (or the specific computer you want to restrict) and destination is the target address

PS: 'Packet Direction' may need to changed also.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions, gcavan. I tried them and met success. I was thinking about the packet directions wrongly.

Here are the exact settings that worked:
LAN to WAN
Source Address: Any
Destination Address: the IP of website to block
Returns "Problem loading page" and "The connection has timed out" error in the browser. This is the result I wanted.

Thank you again.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to configure cisco router 1800 to a IP VPN
Hi guys.... My boss want me to configure a cisco router 1800 series to an IP VPN, but I don't know how to configure a router with an IP VPN... can anyone help me for doing this one?.... can u provide a step by step guide for me?.... any help will be highly appreciated ^_^ tnx guys. + GOD bless...
TechReader Networking Support 2 02-27-2012 12:40 AM
Configure Fax Machine on Voice-enabled Router
Hey All, I'm currently researching a project and not having much luck in finding information. Here's what I'm trying to do: I need to configure two voice-enabled cisco routers, each one has an analog FAX machine. The routers are connected with a serial connection. In the end, the faxes...
soulslide9 Networking Support 3 04-01-2011 01:11 AM
NEED HELP!! I can't configure my router.
Hi I'm new on here and need some help with my router. I live in the canary islands and have a wireless router from movistar but am using my ethernet cable with it. The problem I have is I cant access my router settings AT ALL!! I've tried typing the IP address into firefox and i get a...
DTB2011 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 2 01-19-2011 09:13 AM
Convert router to just a hub?
Hi. Just had u verse installed and have an issue hardwiring several devices. Let me give some background first. Before I had u verse installed, I had DSL supplied by AT&T. I had the main input run into a NetGear router (WNR854T) and then hardwired my desktop and a docking station to the outputs...
yowsa1125 Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 1 01-13-2011 11:54 AM
i have lost access to my router setup page
i have a dlink dir-615 and my wireless was on and router working fine could access my router page i have 2 pc's both connected fine no problem for months as xmas is! my son's bedroom was a tip with toys etc... as boys are so i disabled the wireless so he coudnt go on xbox live till his room was...
pastaman06 Networking Support 7 01-04-2011 02:19 PM