Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Security and Firewalls

[SOLVED] How to block a computer on the network??

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How to block a computer on the network?? within the Security and Firewalls forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. Is there anyway to block a computer on your wireless network from sending data or spyware to other

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there.

Is there anyway to block a computer on your wireless network from sending data or spyware to other computers on the network?

The problem is that my stepdad in law is running a cracked Windows Xp, so he can't get all the patches that prevents certain worm and viruses to come in. I tried to convince him to go buy a legal copy of it, but he won't budge. Is there anyway to block his computer from interacting with our 2 other computers on the network, if I set up a static ip on his computer? I supsect that his virus filled junk is spreading to the other systems on the home network.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I assume that you are connected via a router. You can put his computer in a DMZ that will separate it from the rest of the network. Or you can just block him from connecting in the first place. Also you can setup your firewall to block his IP

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjack View Post
I assume that you are connected via a router. You can put his computer in a DMZ that will separate it from the rest of the network. Or you can just block him from connecting in the first place. Also you can setup your firewall to block his IP
Really? I will check that out, thanks :)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, so I have a linksys wireless G router. Do I just go to the DMZ and put in his ip and click enable and he will be separated from the other computers?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, but FYI putting it in the DMZ will expose the computer to the internet and you will have to setup a static IP address that way it doesn't change on you.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, but FYI putting it in the DMZ will expose the computer to the internet and you will have to setup a static IP address that way it doesn't change on you.
I am not sure i understand what you mean. I put a static ip on his (stepdad in law) computer and put that ip into the DMZ and enabled it. We already have static ip's on the 2 other computers.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

The DMZ is used for things like web server, proxy servers, and e-mail servers. The purpose of putting the computer in the DMZ is to separate it from the rest of your network, that way it can't directly communicate with it. This provides protection for if it is compromised the only computer that can be accessed is the one in the DMZ and not the others on the network.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok, well I thank you for your help and i will mark this as solved :)