Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Security and Firewalls

RDP options behind a firewall

This is a discussion on RDP options behind a firewall within the Security and Firewalls forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If there a method of providing RDP connections when port 3389 is blocked and Security staff fights the waving of

Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

If there a method of providing RDP connections when port 3389 is blocked and Security staff fights the waving of the restriction. Have tried unsuccessfully to use Remote Desktop of port 80 to a Terminal Service Gateway. This is blocked by content filters that prevent RDP connections. I don't really understand the actions of a content filter but presume it is similar to the ActiveX filtering in Internet Explorer 9.
I guess the question that really needs to be addressed is - Is there an alternative that is similar in operation to Remote Desktop or VNC but secure enough to be waved by Security and still provide the required connectivity?
I have a couple of user connections from inside a government facility that require these types of connections to meet Federal mandates for oversight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

This being a US Government PC, you should have plenty of IT people to assist you in this question.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes there is a lot of help but no solutions. Security won't budge from the position that RDP is a security risk and our contractor staff won't budge without security being onboard. The basic irresistible force meeting the immovable object. All of which gets me no closer to a solution which provides my users the ability to perform their required tasks.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Moderator Offline

As you said there are restrictions placed on the PC/System, which means there is nothing we can do to help. Our forum rules prohibit it.

The only thing I think you can do, is talk to the boss and see if you get them to look into it. Not to mention, by passing their restrictions on your own, could cost you your job.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

Consider recommending products like logmein, hamachi or teamviewer which do not require port forwarding.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote