I had this error some time ago. Symantec told me to run the cleanup procedures a different way (which gave the same fail result) and repreated the same instructions several times until I got fed up and totally re-installed. That fixed it for about three months but now it is back.
I have now tried Shameem's 'solution' but all that has acheived is to destroy years of customisation.
THE ORIGINAL ERROR REMAINS!
I remember the days when I used to speak to people who knew what they were talking about when I called a tech support department; now it seems that all we get is the cheapest available person who can read a script in English!